Aerodynamics Simulation

BodyAngularVelocity Instances only rotate on a global axis, I prefer to use body gyros.

Plane crazy utilizes a variety of complicated formulas to simulate drag coefficients and other values to simulate an airfoil, i have tried this before and unless you have a good grasp on the aerodynamics concepts already, it is extremely difficult, That said there are a couple of topics regarding this and i will send you some links as soon as i find them.

Also, if you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, here is a script with the basic functionality:

If yo do want to reinvent the wheel however, here is a link to a bunch of stuff regarding the topic:

2 Likes

I was wanting to find out how to do this recently too. I have no clue how to script any of this, but this is a brief idea of what sort of thing you’d need to do to get this to work.

From what I’ve read, you might want to create a system that handles the aircraft using BodyMovers and BodyGyros and adjusts them based on the orientation of the control surfaces. The surfaces would be moved using the position of the mouse. I’m not sure how to calculate lift on a wing realistically, however you could perhaps change the value for the amount of lift a wing generates based on speed and pitch.

There’s a free model aircraft by Sleitnick that flies like how you want it to, so maybe you could have a look in there to see how it works. You could also contact Rickje to see if he could give you any insights.

1 Like

Yeah. I’m just going to do it a bit more simpler, like you said, using body movers and body gyro’s.

Thanks, for replying.

1 Like