Aerodynamics [Studio Beta] April 2024 Update

This is very cool! I predict plane games popping up very soon… It would be easier to make a plane game if the main thing you need to do is make the flaps and propulsion work. With no need to work on the movement when you use any flap.

5 Likes

Roblox is being nice to their developers rn.

7 Likes

Is there a reason this method is still restricted to PluginSecurity?

5 Likes

I think it was about time for this to be added, I mean I’m hyped dude Roblox psychics needed to be spiced up and now it is!

6 Likes

imagine how well you can make those vacuum lego engines in roblox now

6 Likes

The only real issue I have, is that to completely alter the aerodynamic behaviour of the mesh for example, you can modify the global air density etc, but any more then that requires a remodelling of the structure, and that is both a blessing and a curse due to it’s easy to understand, however a bit too simple control set.

3 Likes

Great to see this feature getting updates, BUT i unfortunately dont see much of a improvement with the issue of not enough lift being generated for higher mass vehicles (planes in my case), i still have to decrease the mass to insanely low values compared to what it would be IRL in order to get desired(ish) results. sadge.

Ive also noticed that the preformance of FluidFidelity when set to “UsePreciseGeometry” is REALLY bad compared to UseCollisionGeometry, would be nice if this has any potential to be optimized.

Anyways overall cool stuff even if it doesnt work great for my use cases.

1 Like

This is so cool! I cannot wait to experiment and tinker with this later.

Are there future plans for more customization of the atmosphere in terms of aerodynamics? While the property can be edited by a script to custom create this, it would be interesting to be able to change the atmospheric pressure, humidity, and temperature. This would allow us to have even more customization of the aerodynamics simulation as all of those factors would change the density of air.

1 Like

Will there be support for joysticks and other inputs in the future? (I may have an idea)

2 Likes

Do you mean something like how classic Roblox cars were controlled with a vehicle seat, but with control surfaces like flaps and rudders instead?

2 Likes

I’ve never even made an aircraft on roblox and now this update makes me want to.

1 Like

I was thinking the player could buy a joystick for a flight sim and make it work as an input for Roblox games. Like how controllers can have an input from 0-1 (0, 0.1, 0.2 … 0.8 0.9 1).

Ohh, I see where you’re going now. Yeah, it would be nice if roblox supported multiple analog input methods and had a developer API along with a keybind menu for mapping. Racing wheel support would be great too.

1 Like

Hello! Thanks for trying it out again, we really appreciate the feedback and your time trying out the feature.

We are still working on the performance of the precise fidelity option on large meshes which is why we’ve kept this in Studio Beta. We wanted to get some feedback on the model’s behavior while doing that. Stay tuned, we will get that fixed before allowing this feature in published games.

Regarding the lift behavior, we found the new model does generate significantly more lift – enough to fly the F15 at realistic speeds with realistic mass. However, you need the precise fluid fidelity to achieve that. Large models are pretty slow right now with that option, so it might be hard to assess the model in those cases. We will take another look at your examples and DM you what we find out.

Again, thanks for taking another look, this is the kind of feedback we need to improve this feature!

1 Like

Thanks for this feedback! We do plan on exposing more APIs to control aspects of this feature. Let us know what specific controls/APIs would be most helpful.

2 Likes

Yes, this is a great idea! We’d like to do this once the model is more complete and ready to move out of Studio Beta so we can provide a more complete and accurate picture of the model.

Only saw the video of the plane, didnt read anything else. This will be a good update for my SU-57

1 Like

Oh yea by the way could i have that thrust particle (at the back of the plane) please thanks mister moderator

1 Like

I agree, switching over would require a massive amount of redevelopment and fine tuning and I doubt it would be considered worth it.

1 Like

what do physics even have to do with removal of blocky characters???, also even if they are removed nothing is stopping you from just using an R6 rig and loading their clothing, just how roblox did.

2 Likes