Aerodynamics [Studio Beta] November 2023 Update

I’ve never used aerodynamics before, but this has piqued my interest in exploring the API and seeing what I can come up with.

Also, I’m still waiting for fluid simulation, which I believe will be one of the best Roblox features because it would make an already terrifying genre more configurable. :+1:

3 Likes

All links in this announcement should be fixed now!

5 Likes

Would be great if there was a property BasePart.EnableFluidBounds where any other parts that intersect with it would use its density rather than workspace.AirDensity to calculate lift. Would allow for areas in game that generate different amounts of lift, eg water for lakes

4 Likes

You outwitted me just as I was going to respond and let you know that the links are broken.

(Don’t ask why I replied 3 hours later, saying “I was just as I was going to respond…”)

3 Likes

High performance water: Swimmable part 2.0 - Resources / Community Resources - Developer Forum | Roblox

This might help you out a bunch! I’ve used it quite a bit in testing, and I can safely say I love it. Hopefully you will too.

5 Likes

They should honestly take inspiration from Unity’s particle system. Theirs is really good and allows you to get into the nitty gritty of everything

4 Likes

This looks really neat. Question, would this be able to function with other land/aero vehicles such as motorcycles, helicopters, tanks etc?

3 Likes

Very cool - is there any intention of supporting Motor6Ds in the future? Hinge constraints have a few annoying issues (especially with heavier objects, or any assemblies with large forces going through them, or fast-spinning objects, or just generally exploding sometimes) that make them annoying to work with for any large/high-speed aircraft control surfaces.

1 Like

We do not plan to support Motor6Ds for aero. You should be using constraints for moving the control surfaces.
The issues you listed with “hinges” can be individually addressed.

1 Like

My question is how does this, along with the GlobalWind property, affect projectiles in combat games? Some projectiles that transverse the distance between the weapon and the target such as rockets have a VectorForce on them to counter gravity so they float in the workspace. Will global wind and aerodynamics affect these parts?

1 Like

We have reverted the change that reduced the lower limit of PhysicalProperties.Density to 0.0001 for now since some scripts were depending on the lower limit always clamping to 0.01. For now, the lower limit for part density is back to 0.01 until we can address the issues with a longer term fix.

This sounds like a them problem and bad programming.

3 Likes

Floating point numbers get real funky at very low and very high values, that’s most likely the culprit.

2 Likes

They said they reverted because some scripts didn’t work because they didn’t future-proof their code by manually clamping the value to 0.01.

2 Likes

I don’t see the point in reverting either. This is a beta, of course some things are going to break. That’s the point of a beta…

4 Likes

The aerodynamics feature as a whole is a big ups in terms of producing believable experiences with drivable aircrafts. I love the feature and as of recently have been experimenting with it and encountered an issue that took me a while to figure out.

Upon making any sort of contraption completely massless it just starts having extremely weird behavior, on one of my places it was spazzing out of reality (can’t show the video publicly, sorry.) but on most occasions it just flips itself.
Why did I spend a while pinpointing the problem? On one of my scripts I made all the parts within contraptions massless which I ended up forgetting about.
Other than that I’ve just had issues lifting everything though that can be because I simply don’t understand how to increase the lift power or due to the high rpm instability on CylindricalConstraints.

1 Like

It’s really great to see the Studio is getting somewhere with the Physics engine.
I will make sure to mess around with the new features.
Keep up the great work!

When can we see Aerodynamics live ingame?

1 Like

The problem with making anything physics based massless is that physics isnt massless. Youre using a physically based system with as I can see as close as mass gets to 0. This causes problems with stability as effectively any force is now able to violently affect a body. This system isnt something to use with purely “massless” bodies. You must have some amount of weight somewhere in the body to be able to have a more realistic behaviour. And for that reason I think that the behaviour youre experiencing is not “weird” in any way.

It might be better for you to do some by hand calculations with the amount of forces you may require for a body of X mass. And have a way of varying these forces. On top of that it seems youre using a helicopter and helicopters do this by angling the rotor blades. In the world of aerodynamics, precision cannot be stressed enough, in things like CoG, and CoL (Centre of Lift). Simpler builds like yours may be more suited to a more simpler solution.

Yeah the whole thing has been changed already, I figured that out. Thanks anyways

1 Like

Hello creators,

We just released a new update to the Aerodynamics studio beta here that addresses some of the issues in this thread.

Aerodynamics [Studio Beta] April 2024 Update: Improved force model and setting FluidFidelity directly in APIs

Give it a spin with your creations and drop any feedback you have into the form thread above.

Thanks!

1 Like