Allow Cross-Group Animation Access

As a Roblox developer, it is currently impossible to use animations from another group even if you are the owner of that group.

For example: if a developer uploaded animations to Group A (owned by them), he or she can’t access those animations from a Group B game (also owned by them).

Developers should NOT have to upload the same animations multiple times in order to gain access to them from different groups if they have ownership of both groups.

Use Cases:

• Sometimes, developers may want to migrate to a new studios group (due to a variety of reasons, e.g., rebranding), but they need to recycle or use animations from their old group for their new group games/projects.
  • Some developers like to have a “workshop” group for testing and a main group for hosting the actual game. Obviously, the same animations need to be accessible from both groups in order for the testing game and the real game to function properly.

Implementation of this feature will save the time of both developers and moderators as well as decrease the number of assets uploaded.

16 Likes

I have a workshop and I support

2 Likes

How will it save time for moderators? As far as I know they don’t review animations.

Anyway, overall I support the request. I’ve had to reupload animations plenty of times due to the lack of this feature.

1 Like

I was under the impression that animations are reviewed to prevent inappropriate uploads, but you’re right. Now that I think about it, animations can always be played right after uploading.

Either way though, it would save time and effort for developers which is my main concern right now.

It’s also very easy to just re-copy and re-save the animation into the new group.

This shouldn’t be necessary though. I’ve noticed behavior where when I upload an animation to a group, I can play the animations in my own games. Why can’t I play them in another group owned by myself?

2 Likes

It’s all about ease. Many features may not be completely necessary, but they are there to save time rather than to provide a new function.

I was actually trying to do that myself. Play a group animation inside another group that I also own.

I completely understand what your saying now. Major support.

1 Like

Support.

2 Likes

Now in 2022, the importance of this thread is more than ever. This is such an quality of life issue, I have no idea why Roblox still has not implemented this.

1 Like

Ditto. No idea why this isn’t a thing yet, and it would help out animators a lot.