Allow easier Drawables - dynamically edit textures

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to make dynamic textures, if you don’t know what I mean by dynamic textures, I mean any image or texture that the game generates, this could be anything from a minimap to a custom renderer (although I wouldn’t see the point in the latter).

My proposed solution would be a frame that lets you control the resolution and the color of each pixel. Of course this is only an example of how this issue could be remedied.
e.g. frame:SetPixelColor(pixelX,pixelY,color3) and frame:SetResolution(x,y)

If this issue is addressed, it would improve my development experience because I often am in situations where I want to make ingame generated images, but in order to do so, I have to instance thousands of guiframes.

Use Cases:
As mentioned earlier, a good use case would be a minimap. Currently, to make a minimap, the best options are to either pre-render an image, or use a viewport frame. The issue is that pre-rendering an image wouldnt work for a game with, as an example, procedurally generated terrain, and viewport frames can’t render terrain (by this I mean you can’t put terrain in a viewport frame). This leaves the only option as a raycasting minimap, but doing so requires instancing multiple thousand frames and changing each color. As seen here, you can get the effect you want, but it comes with a heavy performance hit.

22 Likes

Should be possible do to this now

2 Likes