Allow Flipbooks To Be Used In The UI

As a Roblox developer, it is currently impossible to create flipbook animations or particle effects in the UI.

Flipbooks can currently only be used in 3D space via a particle emitter. Allowing flipbooks to also be used within the user interface would allow developers to add flipbook animations to the UI. All popular game engines provide a way to show particle emitters or flipbooks directly in the UI. Roblox should follow the lead and and this capability to their game engine.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because I could then add sophisticated flipbook and particle animations to the user interface.

11 Likes

Hi bro, you can use sprite sheets! I don’t think Roblox is planning to add Flipbooks for GUI elements

1 Like

you can easily do it with ImageRectOffset

4 Likes

@0ffxInventor , @STRGmikaa

the point is we should be able to do it easily, Roblox already add support for Flipbook for Particle emitters, i can’t imagine it being too hard to support that for UI as well

3 Likes

They were probably mentioning it as this is the line that this entire feature request is resting on, which is not true.

2 Likes

So it looks like flipbooks are possible using ImageRectOffset and programming the animation yourself as mentioned above. However it is not possible to add particle emitters to the UI, which I think is the heart of the problem.

You can very easily code particles, a great tutorial would be Make Epic Fireworks & Particle Explosions with Scratch Pen Extension (youtube.com) < this explains the math

1 Like

To my knowledge, particles in UI is not an existing feature in any engine, simply because it can be done programmatically pretty easily. Same applies here.

One can certainly program particles in the UI, but with all the power, features, and simplicity of the built-in particle system, it would be great to be able to use the particle system in the UI.

That was a really interesting video. Thank you for linking it!