Allow for a static installation folder for Roblox Player and Studio

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to reference the current player and studio binaries due to a changing installation directory. This causes serious accessibility issues because shortcuts become invalidated and new shortcuts are created on the Desktop every update. Additionally, it makes writing external tooling that wants to interact with Roblox files more difficult because the current version must be fetched which is a platform-dependent process. Furthermore, it basically guarantees a new firewall entry every update, eventually bloating the firewall rules which creates a further inconvenience.

If this issue is addressed, it would improve my development experience because I will be able to more portably and easily access the Roblox install directory, and it would improve my user experience because it will not invalidate all my shortcuts and bloat my Desktop with a new shortcut every time.

9 Likes

It might help adding some actual use cases (what features are you trying to implement with custom tooling) so that Roblox product managers can validate that your proposed solution is the right one for the problem you’re trying to solve.

For example, other solutions to your problem may be filling in gaps in plugin API and Open Cloud so that you can implement whatever you’re trying to achieve with Plugins or via integrating with OAuth/Open Cloud. It’s not clear based on your current description what you are actually trying to achieve by modifying player/Studio installation files.

Totally agree on the shortcuts and firewall rules part.

I support this feature request. For most laptops, I need to reset the DPI settings each time I start it since it’s always blurry.

Additionally, Roblox studio cannot be installed to a single user. This means that you need to run it as admin every time you start it, and therefore blocking all .rbxl support. I work around this by setting “run as administrator” in the compatibility, but it gets reset every time it updates. If the directory didn’t change, this wouldn’t be an issue.

4 Likes

Roblox also always installs on the C:/ drive which is highly inconvenient if you want to save space on an already small drive.

I NEVER install software on the C:/ drive because it’s too small for that and I want to keep it optimal.

2 Likes

You can, however, move the folder and launch studio directly, though I think they patched that.