Allow for Greater Variation in ShadowMap Shadow Technology

As a roblox developer, it is currently too hard to vary the softness and intensity of the shadows using ShadowMap Lighting technology. If ROBLOX is able to address my issue, it would improve my development experience as I along with other developers would be able to control exactly how our games look in terms of atmosphere and ambience.

As you can see in this screenshot, even when I set ShadowSoftness to 0, shadows still have a blurred edge.

So what am I getting at here?

After trying to search for images which display what I am asking for here exactly, I ended up coming across a screenshot from the old engine.
(Taken some time in 2007 by user CaptainKF)

Trying to stay off of a nostalgic debate here, you can see how his character’s shadows are tack sharp and have zero blur. I am aware that this was an entirely different engine but I feel that sharp shadows have a PLETHORA of use cases for many developers.

So, to summarise this:

I would like to see shadows in the ShadowMap engine have the ability to be perfectly sharp as shown in the above pictures. If ShadowSoftness is 0, these shadows should be perfectly sharp.

If any clarification on what I am asking for here is needed, please don’t hesitate to mention me here or even PM me on ROBLOX so I can clear up any confusion.

Regards,
bricknemesis

20 Likes