Allow published game-places to read game-settings from the place-file instead of the web settings

As a Roblox developer, it is currently not possible to override a game’s settings in a published place with the settings specified in that place’s datamodel. This makes it impossible to change game-settings in one place, and push those changes to a live version of the place in an update from the test-place.

Settings like avatar settings are already stored locally in the datamodel. E.g. StarterPlayer.GameSettingsAvatar and StarterPlayer.GameSettingsScaleRangeBodyType.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because it would allow me to have granular game-settings on a per-place basis, and would also make it very easy to push those new game settings in an update.
Right now, if I change avatar settings for a game, and I push an update to the live-game, those setting changes are not reflected. Furthermore, because published game places don’t currently read from the datamodel/place’s settings, we cannot assign granular settings to each place.

For context, my projects use rojo and are checked into git version control. I want to be able to change the avatar settings and the likes in my project file, and have those changes checked into version control + easily publish to the live-game when needed.

18 Likes

2 years later and this is still an issue. Would really like this to be added! Syncing avatar scaling settings between my test and production environments is a massive headache due to this.

6 Likes

This is still needed, over two years later! I still have to manually edit my production place to update game settings, this isn’t ideal!

2 Likes

Months later and there’s still a need for this. As someone who has multiple universes for a single game (test environments, production environment, etc), this is a huge hindrance to me.

2 Likes