Allow 'Run to Cursor' while debugging

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to skip parts of code quickly during debugging.
If I’m debugging for example line 1 and I want to jump to line 30 quickly, currently in Studio I have to:

1. Click on line 30
  2. Set a breakpoint on line 30
  3. Press F5 (Resume)
  4. Remove the breakpoint from line 30

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because similar to this current Visual Studio option, I will be able to directly right click on the line (example line 30) and select “Run to cursor”, making the debugging work much easier.

8 Likes

This functionality would be very simple to implement, however nobody paid attention in almost 1 year.
If it’s something that’s been around in Visual Studio for DECADES, it’s certainly because it’s something very useful.
Currently, when I’m debugging code, if in the middle of the steps (F10) I come across a loop that I want to skip, I’m forced to create a breakpoint on the next line outside the loop, press F5 to skip the loop, and then disable the breakpoint.
These 3 steps could turn into just 1.

2 Likes

@IcyTides
Since Intuitive Debugger has already been imposed as the official debugging platform, I highlight this suggestion to improve the debugging experience.

3 Likes

Following up here, as ‘Run to Cursor’ has been added to the debugger recently :slight_smile:

Screen Shot 2023-08-04 at 3.44.35 PM

3 Likes

Fantastic, thanks for letting me know! :+1:

@IcyTides
This is yet another example of how Roblox doesn’t notify users about fixes or implementations requested in the forum, leaving it up to users to figure it out on their own.
It’s a shame. :-1:

Bro, I’VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS FOR AGES!

THANKS SO MUCH

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.