Allow scripts to access microprofiler & memory tag data for performance analytics

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to capture analytics from the script memory tags & microprofiler data sources. FPS and memory usage stats are often too vague to be actionable. My team uses custom analytics but this is a pain point on data we can’t access. Especially on server microprofiles, which can only take tiny duration snapshots.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because my team would be able to quickly & accurately pinpoint and solve performance issues, answering broad or specific questions such as:

• Which scripts cause the longest frametime spikes?
  • Which UIs are the most expensive to update (or update too frequently).
  • How fast does each debug.setmemorycategory tag grow over a session?
  • Which locations in the experience have the most intense frametime increases via light source shadow updates?
    Or pulling the microprofiler stats from another user who is reporting lag in-session to see what’s causing it.

*This could later serve as the foundation for more data in the on-site analytics performance panels, but if it’s easy to expose this data in some simple APIs first it would help my team out. We run into too many obscure performance issues on complex experiences & need faster non-anecdotal diagnosis.

10 Likes

SUPER important feature, would unlock new performance optimization capabilities to our games portfolio of nearly 1B plays and I’m sure to many other teams as well!