Allow Splitscreen cameras for local multiplayer

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to make local multiplayer games (using the fact that you can have 8 gamepads at once) given how the developer cannot split the screen in half, or in fours.

This is a problem for local multiplayer Xbox games as it means everyone wouild have to stay inside a safezone and could not break up from each other too far without it becoming tedious to work with.

Developing a game like this can be infuriating to downright impossible as designing games that dont have splitscreen support limits you heavily, try making a racing game without split screening, it would be impossible.

Ergonomics for multiple controllers already somewhat exist with the UI selection thing having a “Selection Controller” system, and I dont know how splitscreen support was overlooked when adding this.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because I’d be able to make local multiplayer games that dont require the players to stick together

36 Likes

Nothing against the feature request, just a bit of a game design tip: the best multiplayer couch games do not use split screen and just keep the players close together and try to focus the camera on the whole bunch. They do this because it maximizes the interactions between players and this is where the fun comes from when playing those kind of games. Look at Smash, Animal Crossing, Overcooked, most recent 3D Mario games, etc.

I think racing games are a good example to mention because due to fast movement of the characters it’s hard to keep them in the same shot, yet they can likely still interact with each other (e.g. powers in Mario Kart). If you’re talking general open world / social / arcade games though, I think generally there is little added fun value from split screen.

25 Likes

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

This is not a good solution because there are many graphical differences between an actual game frame and a frame rendered in a ViewportFrame.

4 Likes