Allow switching of game locale during runtime

As a Roblox developer, it is currently impossible to allow our users to dynamically change languages while in game.

Previously in Robloxian Highschool, we used our own method of localizing the game, which allowed us to change the user’s language in-game whenever they chose to. Once we converted over to using LocalizationService, we lost the ability to do so.
In our settings, we had a list of all of the supported languages, of which you could click and the whole game would re-translate itself to that language.

What I’m proposing is a new method to LocalizationService:
LocalizationService:SetLocale(String locale)

This will allow you the developer to change the target language of the game on-the-fly, without requiring the end user to restart their game for the language change to take affect.

16 Likes

I highly support this. LocalizationService’s auto-localization is too rigid because it will only work for the locale that the user has selected, which can only be one that the main Roblox site is translated in. RobloxLocaleId or one of those properties should be writable, such that we can override it at run-time and have it auto-update all auto-localization.

Since last time I looked at the LocalizationService page, seems like some new stuff was added that lets you switch the locale in Studio:

It would be great to have something like this for run-time, too. As a developer I do not want to wait for Roblox to implement more languages for users to pick from, I want to jump ahead of the curve and offer more options for players to pick from in-game.

7 Likes

Working on translation and come to find out this isn’t possible? What? Why???

2 Likes