Allow to debug in Team Test

As a Roblox developer, it is currently impossible to debug in Team Test mode.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because in my case, debugging in multi-user mode is FUNDAMENTAL, since the game has many variations when there are multiple users, and currently there is no way to do that other than stuffing the whole script with countless prints and repeating extensively testing until you understand what is going on.

1 Like

What tools or widgets are you using when you say ‘debugging’? I only use the console because everything else is too complicated, or there is no documentation that I could find for it. Pretty sure you can use the console anywhere in roblox. Are you talking about using breakpoints?

Debugging is using breakpoints, this is so industry standard that they are one in the same. OP has already mentioned that print debugging is undesirable.

Did not realize team test cannot be debugged, and yet Roblox wants to push team create as default.

2 Likes

Oh. Well I don’t see how roblox could implement breakpoints in a team test. Breakpoints pause the game for debugging when they’re reached, but how should that react with multiple players? No idea. I think that @rogeriodec_games should explain what the behavior of breakpoints in a team test would be like.

I never liked breakpoints. We didn’t get along.

If you ever have REALLY complex logic, you REALLY need breakpoints.
And, as I said in the OP, my logic varies when there are several players online, so breakpoints would be INDISPENSABLE in Team Test.

By debugging do you mean debugging on the server or client? I don’t think that debugging on the server is possible yet and this is probably why they don’t have the feature.

It seems you don’t know how the studio debugger works. Currently is possible to debug both server and client, but only for a single user. I’m asking to have exactly the same, but for multi-user scenario, with Team Test.

1 Like

I was referring to the team test server. The playtesting server is referred to as a virtual server.

Is it still possible to do so?

AFAIK, no. All debugging comes down to the virtual server emulated in Studio. I think Team Test should also emulate a virtual server. And as such, it should also allow debugging (unless Team Test is a simple Roblox Player emulation (using all of its original engine). If so, I believe it is impossible for this my request to be done).

1 Like

Team test uses an actual Roblox server for hosting

1 Like

How do you know. Where is it documented?

When you attempt to publish you receive ‘sent message to server to publish’, you can also check the connection strength to the server on the top-right.

In this case, from what you’re saying, it’s practically a confirmation that Team Test emulates the Roblox Player engine instead of the virtual server that is used in the single player test, which is a shame, because in this case it will be impossible to debug in Team Test.

Try doing a test server session, then go to the place’s page at check the servers tab. You can see your team test server there but you can’t join it via a normal Roblox client.