Allow us to reward players gamepasses without paying

Allow us to reward players gamepasses without paying

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to have overlapping game passes, or allow for items/perks to be bought with both in-game currency and Robux. Allowing some kind of service that allows you to reward a player a gamepass at no cost to them (as they have already paid in some other fashion) would be great.

If Roblox is able to address your issue, how would it improve your game and/or your development experience? Please be as specific as possible.

If I provided a starter pack gamepass, I could include certain existing passes in with this starter pack gamepass, making it’s value appear more due to it being made up of currently existing gamepasses which cost Robux. It would also allow for any kind of packs that have overlapping features, each feature can be given as a gamepass and therefore overlapping features do not matter.

It would also allow us to offer items as a gamepass / paid version on top of being available in-game through currency. If the player earns it through ingame currency the gamepass could be rewarded to them for free, and they won’t accidentally re-purchase that item.

18 Likes

Would have to be a server event since gamepasses can be prompted on the client and who wants exploiters getting free gamepasses amirite.

2 Likes

This is what developer products are for.

Games that already have gamepasses set up instead of developer products would need to include special logic to handle granting users permission to use gamepass things instead of just using the same code for checking gamepass ownership. Development often happens iteratively so this is a perfectly plausible situation.

I think this would simplify those cases.

Also, developer products don’t get the same real estate as gamepasses.

5 Likes

Developer products do not solve this issue. Gamepasses are clearly a permanent thing that sits on the store page of a game, it’s a massive waste not to use that real estate. Therefore, selling an item with currency or with robux as a permanent perk through gamepasses and the ingame store is not currently possible as the player may end up buying a gamepass they already own.

10 Likes