Allow us to toggle VR mode

I recently got an Oculus Rift and one of the first things I did was jump into ROBLOX with it. I had an incredible amount of fun playing my own game, Azure Mines, from a unique first-person perspective, as well as a few other games like Speed Run. Something I noticed right away that bothered me was that ROBLOX always launches in VR mode when a VR headset is connected and there’s no clear way of disabling it or going back to PC mode. In fact, if you close the Oculus app (which is required to use the headset), clicking play will re-open it and THEN launch in VR mode. The reason I’m complaining is that with normal usage I never unplug my Oculus from my PC. It’s connected to my PC via a USB in the front and then an HDMI wire and a second USB in the back. It’s incredibly annoying having to go and unplug everything just to play ROBLOX without my headset. Either don’t open VR mode when the Oculus app isn’t open or have a clear way to toggle modes.

Thanks

20 Likes

Also happens with vive. Even automatically opening steamvr. I never play roblox in VR because it’s such a hassle to switch modes.

1 Like

We know this is a problem but solving this problem requires extra design/engineering that we’re unlikely to get to this year. We originally made the decision to ship always-on VR with DK2 having the power on/off button but both retail Oculus and Vive can’t be turned off and we did not have time to adapt to this yet (the solution is non-trivial since it involves web launch flow and we can’t even tell if you have a VR device from the site). This will happen for sure though (on mobile we will have a setting/button in the app at launch).

Studio automatically closes when I close SteamVR. Studio should never close unless I tell it to. I understand if you can’t run play solo if the vr state changes, but just tell me that. I’m trying to get things done and it isn’t helping when studio decides that I need to stop everything I’m doing.

5 Likes

So did Roblox ever add that VR toggle, because I would love to play Roblox normally again.

Yep. If you open the escape menu, there’ll be a setting for VR:

3 Likes