Allow wearing multiple classic shirts and pants

As a developer and player, it is not possible to wear more than one of each type of classic clothing. I’m referring to classic clothes, because as it stands right now, this is only possible with layered clothing. My request is that you can do this for classic clothing as well!

Players would be able to order what clothing goes on first. Later, I’ll go over a potential problem with implementing this, and a solution for that problem. For now, I’ll go over why we need this!

Use Cases

1: Clothes over textured skin

This use case allows the user to have clothes over textured skin, such as animal fur, scales, or wounded skin.

View Examples

Before:

An image of a dark furry with white paws.

After (current):

An image of a dark furry with a prisoner outfit, lacking paws and fur.

After (new):

An image of a dark furry with a prisoner outfit and white paws. Composited in Photoshop to show the potential feature.

Another example is with zombies!

Before:

A zombie with a dirty torso.

After (current):

A zombie with a ragged shirt.

After (new):

A zombie with a dirty torso and ragged shirt.

This would definitely make some games more immersive, prison games.

As you can see, they could use this to show textured skin under the inmate outfit. It wouldn’t make sense for every player, though. The game would also have to add a setting to keep or remove their old clothes.

Unrelated, but that game makes you white if you’re too black. That’s… very intriguing.

2: Pockets, Handbags, Pins

This use case shows how developers would be able to add extra accessories to a user’s clothes.

View Examples

Before:

A man with a military uniform on.

After (current):

A man with no shirt on, but with a handbag on.

After (new):

A man with a military uniform on, including a handbag. Composited in Photoshop to show the potential feature.

Potential Problem

There is just one issue, though. How would this data be stored in humanoid descriptions?

Developers don’t expect more than one id to be here. Multiple could be stored like they are for hats:

But still, they wouldn’t expect this. A new property would need to be setup to fix this problem. The Shirt and Pants properties would only represent the first clothing item. Another property, such as ShirtBlob and PantsBlob would store them all, separated by commas.

The Shirt and Pants objects would also need a ZIndex or DisplayOrder property! This will be set by the user when they design their avatar on the website. Developers could also make use of this when making NPCs. The value is according to each clothing id’s index in the ShirtBlob and PantsBlob.

38 Likes

I am in complete support of this feature being added. It’d be very useful.

8 Likes

Sorry, sir. This suggestion is not so metaverse nor does it appeal to our investors. Therefore, it will likely be denied!

Roblox, please don’t open this.

Obviously, this feature would benefit both players and developers a lot. For developers on low budget or classic look, they could just have avatar customizations that stacks 2d clothings. Players take this way to a more creative level as well the use cases you provided. I WANT THEM TO ADD THIS PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.

This likely won’t affect old games as long as Roblox works around it that way the first index shirt provided has the same name if any of the scripts relies on it. Definitely won’t affect developers’ workflow either.

17 Likes

Set the property to a table.
And roblox should add table support to property menu.

1 Like

Thats a whole other mess of a feature they probably won’t consider for a while. Besides, the HatAccessory property separates the ids with commas that you can split between. Therefore, that’s not necessary. All the other accessory containing properties are like that in HumanoidDescriptions!

1 Like

Oh, yeah I forgot about that part when replying.
Then, I don’t have anything to say.

1 Like

Unfortunately with how hard they want to push 3D Clothing to the masses, despite 2D clothing being way more popular than 3D. I doubt they would even consider this suggestion.

That being said I am in full support and I feel like it would benefit both players and developers alike. I hope I am wrong and they actually do consider it.

7 Likes

I was afraid of this. I’m just hoping that an engineer comes through and spends a few days or weeks trying to add this.

When playing games, I’m seeing almost 80% of users wearing classic clothes… so they should add this.

3 Likes

Infact, let’s do a poll!

Which do you use the most?
  • Classic Clothes
  • Layered Clothes

0 voters

2 Likes

1 Like

I wish we already had this feature in early Roblox.
Currently if you wanted to have like a cat avatar that wears a shirt you’d have to rip a shirt and cat outfit from the website and reupload an edited version.

Many people usually do this, technically this counts as stealing but I totally understand why people do this.
I’ve seen countless reuploads of clothing because people wanted to layer them but you can’t in Roblox.

Layered classic clothing also shouldn’t be a performance issue in general because clothing textures already are very low resolution and Roblox already internally bakes clothing and accessories to one big texture for convenience.

Roblox could just layer the classic clothing on top of each other internally in the engine and save a single modified texture to memory to save space and it wouldn’t affect the performance and quality at all.

4 Likes

i support this idea, it would benefit both devs and players.

1 Like

Bypassed clothing is already a problem and I feel this would make it worse, as it adds more layers to split the bypassed texture through.

It could also just be stored in the Shirt and Pants objects where we can have multiple of them like accesories.

2 Likes

A clothing object should only represent one piece of clothing the user is wearing. The problem of multiple asset ids would still be unexpected.

Well I said allow having multiple clothing objects, just like accessories, there isn’t an accessory table, there is an accessory object and the player has multiple.

1 Like

Being able to equip multiple shirts and change the order would be SO NICE

roblox how about you actually add things people want -w-

2 Likes