Alternatives to “suicidal” content

There was a game that i played which instead of aiming at their heads, players would aim the gun to the ceiling.
But yeah, a cartoonish style game, when idk, players shoot a toy gun and say “oof” when falling to the ground, it would certainly be more proper.

1 Like

You see that is what I initially did, the game started to blow up so I quickly made it private, and then I made it public when showing some of my discord members and I check it out recently and I see like 300 playing it.

Might have to just private it and recreate it on another engine as suggested by @PurpSinister, which would be a shame as that is lots of appreciated hard work just gone, and I don’t have much experience yet outside of ROBLOX.

1 Like

You sure that isn’t my game? Check the attached video.

Couldn’t find the attached video, but the game is so specific that might be you, yes. All i remember is that the thumbnail was a round table and a bunch of chairs on top of a generic stud baseplate.

1 Like

Their content moderation is really a case-by-case basis and can be sorta inconsistent regarding the rules, your game gets deleted for vague reasoning, meanwhile there are games where you literally jump off cliffs to break bones for money. Would this not be actively engaging in self-harm? (Nothing against this game, one of my favorite games on the site.). Maybe they just have multiple moderators that view things differently causing each report to be treated differently? i don’t even know to be honest.

1 Like

Yeah, that is what I am getting at. The problem is the core concept of the game. I do not believe there is a nice middle ground where your game is both appropriate for Roblox and reasonably conveys the situation and feelings that you are going for.

1 Like

The issue with this is that it is really easy to find an audience on Roblox. It isn’t rare for a game to reach the front page in a week or two. You’ll be lucky if anyone buys your game on Steam without advertising.

1 Like

Thats what I think, because most people who have played my game can tell what it is hinting at but don’t see it and go “wow this is really bad I don’t know how this is allowed on ROBLOX”. Either way I generally agree with the moderation point:

I just want moderators to not make our lives hard and to cooperate with us more and give much better explainations, and to not just judge things off of a first glance (e.g. banning someone for something that they think is copyrighted). Instead of just banning us for the smallest things, just work with is and tell us (in a form we can actually understand) what we are doing wrong.

Exactly, which is why I don’t really have a motive to do that until I am much more experienced with developing and able in other programming languages.

If you listened to us 5 month so ago, you wouldn’t have a problem like that. I did also mention that its best to not make questionable ToS-wise games. Roblox is a platform that’s aiming for family friendly content. Yes it does go against your interests but Roblox as a company that lends you the use of its engine has a set of dos and no-dos for us to follow. You either comply or suffer the consequences…

3 Likes

Actually, if you look back to 5 months ago you will see that I have barely changed anything and it hasn’t been touched. Like I said, the rise in the popularity of this project unexpectedly came to me only recently.

And yes I am completely aware ROBLOX can technically do whatever they want, thats not my problem. My problem is just Developers not being cooperated well with moderators and support from them is often poor in my experience.

You must see in my situation that it wasn’t like I could just email them and ask if the game would be ok, and as stated before different mods seem to act very differently which again makes things very hard for a developer.

1 Like

The problem is much more complicated. By your logic, almost every game can get removed or at least suspended for sensitive material.

I already mentioned this in another post, but there used to be a clone of Hotline Miami with all the gore and violence uncensored, it is still available but is broken because of filtering. It never got moderated and it was fairly popular.

The previous point is an extreme case, but there are also much less obvious games like Phantom Forces where you can literally paint the walls in blood because of a glitch.

This is a controversial issue as russian roulette is closer to a game of luck than real gambling. Does that mean that games like Yu Gi Oh would also count as gambling because the cards are shuffled and kids often bet cards?

1 Like

The difference between all of the mentioned games and OP’s game is that those are a little more gory games (that yet follow the ToS, besides Hotline Miami - it probably just got lucky) while OP’s (like someone else already said) contemplates your fear of dying and suicide. Any content even suggesting a small hint of suicide is bannable. He had a chance to save himself by making it less suggestive but he passed. This would’ve worked if we had the promised age rating but we don’t and like I said earlier - follow the rules or face consequences…

2 Likes

Except we don’t exactly have well defined rules. The no prohibited beverage rule is easy to follow, but gambling and indirect reference to suicide aren’t.

The TOS state the following for gambling: “…that involve real money in any way”. This excludes his game in pretty much every way, but moderators can still see it as such.

His game contains no content that is a direct representation of “self-harm”, yet it is the first thing that people imagine when they see a round table and a revolver, but wouldn’t killing others be just as much of an issue?

Other games can easily incite fear without even having any horror-like content. Being surrounded by other players in a survival game or any other game in which you lose items can potentially induce more fear than any “scary” game.

3 Likes

Gambling is well defined in the TOS but I’m not sure where exactly they have this information. I’ll explain it at the end of my post. I’d say “indirect reference to suicide” is pretty self explanatory. Don’t try to make references to self harm. If the game is a silly version of something (kid friendly) and doesn’t include any implied meaning it’s fine. All you have to do is think about how people are going to react to something.

(It also means you can’t make references to real world gambling)
Gambling on Roblox (more specifically chance based rewards/losses) must follow certain rules if influenced by Robux. You must supply the player with accurate chance information. If you have a 30% chance of losing your money you have to state this in an obvious location (you can’t hide it away). You must state a chance for every reward or loss. If you can’t define a chance for one of these, it’s against TOS simple as that.

Powerups and “boosters” would not fall under this for the simple reason that their chance is based on the player’s own skill. Heavily skill based loss/reward isn’t gambling. Players must have a relatively fair chance among each other. You can’t make a super hard “skill based” game if the player’s skill isn’t the main factor in their success (how fast the player can click on something, or how accurately the player can click on something are examples of non skill based play).

4 Likes

I agree. This idea makes it more kid friendly, where instead of viewing other’s people’s deaths, they’re frozen by some sort of advanced, futuristic ice ray gun. It’s the same concept, aside from the the fact that people are dying (only frozen and unable to play). Good idea @PurpSinister :+1:t3:

2 Likes

Even if I made it so it’s a toy gun with a text to speech voice saying “Oh no! You lost! But don’t worry, your character is perfectly fine and you’ll be able to take part next round.” they’d probably just delete my account for attempting lol.

Also it can’t be anything to do with a dark atmosphere and a table due to breaking point having that (Although I planned several different mint maps) and allowing you to vote to execute other players. But even he had lots of trouble with roblox, he probably got a mod that wasn’t biased on personal opinion eventually who accepted it.

It could be just because of the advanced system of loading the gun and attention to detail that makes the concept stand out, and removing that is just straight up RNG and very boring.

1 Like

As much as I love your game’s idea, I think it’s another “Ro-Bio” situation where it simply won’t be allowed by moderators. With Breaking Point, it’s like a game of Mafia with modifiers. Sure, it involves guns, but it is played in a circle in real life. (Without actual weapons, of course.)

2 Likes

Well, try too hard and people will notice something’s up. The trick is subtlety. If your game doesn’t imply bad things there’s no reason to act like it does to cover yourself.

The case of Ro-Bio is that it was banned for being to violent/disturbing. Attempting to make the same thing but “safer” doesn’t work because you’re basing it off of something purposely disturbing and trying to shield yourself so much that it’s just obvious.

4 Likes