Ambient occlusion missing in Future lighting mode

It’s nearly March now and this bug is still an issue. It is significantly impacting graphical fidelity.

Can we have an update to confirm if this is still being looked at? Can we get an ETA? It’s been a bug for several months now :confused:

10 Likes

17 days later and this is still going on. Can we please have an update on this? It’s hurting the looks of many games with future lighting. Having to switch back and forth from shadowmap to future lighting is getting really annoying at this point.

7 Likes

27 days later and this is still going on. Please give us an update on this issue.

7 Likes

The missing occlusion made outdoor daylighting looks pretty bad… only if you guys enabled switching technology, would be a temporary solution since we can choose the future when there is a nearby light source, and shadow map when there are no lights.

5 Likes

This has been heavily impacting the visual fidelity in my game, the meshes blend together like they’re made out of solid colors and cast no “self-shadows”. It’s honestly quite upsetting that this issue has not been yet fixed.

Currently the only workaround I know that works only for meshes is using Vertex Colors and just applying the fake ambient occlusion yourself or baking it in software such as Blender.

4 Likes

Apparently, there is ambient occlusion at night time in future lighting when not nearing light sources, but there is almost none in daylight. Daytime looks better in shadow map, but nighttime looks a lot better in future.

2 Likes

I am observing this as well. I really hope this gets fixed because it kind of ruins the look of the game. AO makes it much easier to see the geometry of an object that has less distinctive texturing or details, plus makes everything look slightly nicer.

9 Likes

Still an extremely important issue. This really needs a fix.

6 Likes

It has been far too long since any update from Roblox. This issue impacts the visuals of Future mode greatly and it has been doing so for months on end. I’d at least appreciate some word on whether or not this is still being worked on.

9 Likes

its almost august and ao is still missing :confused:

9 Likes

I’ve noticed some glass parts have terrible ambient occlusion with Future, even with maximum graphics.

4 Likes

Basically everything has terrible or just no AO in future.

9 Likes

Roshade unfortunatly is currently the only Future + Ambient Occlusion workaround …

3 Likes

Still needs to be revived every so often. Future lighting is extremely hard to work with due to the shading which looks almost like legacy with the lack of ao

9 Likes

I agree, it does need to be revived every so often.

4 Likes

Shadows were added to grass in future lighting on the 17th of this month. It’s not necessarily ambient occlusion, but I think this is a better alternative since it looks more clean.

2 Likes

Wow, this still isn’t fixed? I wonder why- maybe there are compatibilty concerns or something. Adding back ambient occlusion to future lighting would be very nice.

3 Likes

I will say I actually prefer the grass casting real shadows compared to having each grass blade contribute to ambient occlusion, because it looks more natural that way, but it wasn’t the only area to be affected by the lack of AO. Outdoor areas in shadow that are lit by skylight still look poor without it

1 Like

“we’ll follow up with a update”

5 Likes

It seems like areas under shadows now have AO on them, while areas directly exposed to sunlight still have little to no AO. It seems somewhat intentional, but still odd.

3 Likes