Amplify Your Experiences with New Music

Hello!
Love that we are getting more support for music, but will we one day have audio playing support in the Creator Hub on Safari?

This would be a much appreciated improvement if we could have this support.

5 Likes

And it’s normal that the audio doesn’t work in game?? (I’m talking about personalized music) It’s nonsense! Again it will be public audio distributed directly from the platform I wouldn’t say, but this is music approved by ROBLOX!!! I don’t know if it’s a bug or not, but personally I won’t use your music. (And I’m sorry to say it, but in terms of quality… it really leaves something to be desired… After all, it’s just my personal opinion)

3 Likes

If I click More Info, it doesn’t give any specific details. I am on macOS, using Safari

1 Like

This response doesnt sit right with me. If monetisation wasnt even considered for the launch of this feature and is being looked at in the future, then whats the point of anyone signing up now?

Roblox recently launched a partnership with UMG to allow artists on their label to receive royalties if their music is played. Why are independent artists not given the same treatment?

Until Roblox values independent artists on the same level as label artists, then I do not feel comfortable uploading or encouraging anyone to upload music to be used as measly “exposure”.

6 Likes

Artists are not getting paid for this. This is harmful in an already toxic landscape for artists trying to survive in the music industry. Features like this concern me as a music producer and game developer, and can only make the future look even more bleak for those making a living in the music industry.

There isn’t room to foster connections with other creative talent if we as game developers are indirectly cheating them for their work. There cannot be an ecosystem for artists here on the platform if there is no real market for them and their work is taken without pay. You need to give these artists real financial reimbursement for being on this platform, not steal it from them. As it stands, as a producer who uses Distrokid I have no reason to want my content on this platform, and exposure alone is not acceptable enough for a deal this massive and dependent on my content.

This feature could have made Roblox a lucrative space for artists but as it stands today, artists get nothing, and devs get to cheat them. The artists at a minimum should be compensated for how much their songs get streamed, that’s the bare minimum.

5 Likes

Painful to see Roblox consider exposure as a fair alternative to pay. While I’m sure there’s a handful of musicians desperate enough that they’ll take anything they can get, many understand that their work has value. After all, that value was the core of the National Music Publishers’ Associan’s $200M lawsuit against Roblox.

This isn’t a new concept to Roblox, game devs on the platform have been getting paid for the value they’ve offered over the past decade. What makes it any different here? Why isn’t putting food on the artist’s table high enough priority to include at launch? How much longer will they have to wait before they’re treated fairly?

The biggest impact this will have is reinforcing the public opinion that Roblox doesn’t respect artists. You can’t even claim this is anything new when Roblox has been doing this for over fifteen years, with badliz’ The Great Strategy still including “The one and only, stolen from me!” in the description.

Without your artists, Roblox would be nothing. Pay them.

6 Likes

This way of uploading music to artist not being paid sucks. I can’t afford subscription based distributing and I use Route Note for music, and given that you are not being paid. All this seems like you are loosing money, for just a license to have your music on Roblox. This feels more like a loose for me than a win, so yeah I agree here.

1 Like

So how can I say… I wanted to add some music to my game (I guess there’s still some cool music, even if it’s not extraordinary either) and I just saw that it’s necessary give permission??? what is this madness??? IN ADDITION if you have not added the music to your inventory it does not work! It’s really nonsense! As I said in a previous post, if it was music imported by people directly into Roblox I would understand but it is approved by Roblox. PLUS the music doesn’t work in other games (I’m obviously talking about radios and custom music)
Honestly change that because it has no point, it’s just stupid

2 Likes

Hi everyone, thank you for your feedback.

We’ve added a section called Known Limitations to the announcement about limitations around audio permissions. Additionally, we responded to some of your questions in the comments.

3 Likes

So if I understood correctly, artists like me must distribute their songs using Distrokid exclusively to be included ? :thinking:

Here’s a question I wasn’t able to ask at RDC :

What is Roblox’s stance on people distributing ai-generated music and possibly abusing the system, will it be tolerated ?

1 Like

Yeah I’m not paying some random company to take care of my uploads.
I’ll find a workaround or just wait for a full audio release. One time when chatting to Roblox staff they worded their response in a manner that suggested full audio uploading was coming soon.

As much as I’ll use the Distrokid audio, (I MUCH prefer monstercat though) I REFUSE to publish somewhere with a price tag. Being a creator should be free.

Devforum mods, if you are reading this, we want our voices heard, Pass on what we say and don’t turn our backs on us any longer.

4 Likes

Awesome more music, but its disappointing that we are still limited with the audios we can upload and have, as music and sound are really important in a game. It would be nice if Roblox could find a work around so we could use popular songs once again.

1 Like

Frankly, we’re hitting rock bottom here… I just have one question… WHY? Why is the audio YOU ​​distribute somehow “PRIVATE”?? It’s just nonsense! So in the DRC you talk about sharing music… and do you need authorization to use Distrokid music? So why isn’t it the same with the audio of APM, Monstercat and Clippsy? your audio limitation is becoming really stupid… Moreover I sincerely hope that creators who want to share their music will not have to go through distrokid because in addition to paying there is NO guarantee that the music will be added to roblox.

I hope for changes regarding this decision. (Even I absolutely don’t believe it)

2 Likes