An Automatic Pixel Fix For Importing Images

As a Roblox developer, it is currently an issue to have to run each image, pertaining to a UI, through a pixel fix to get rid of the dark edges.

If this issue is addressed, it would improve many developers’ experiences by removing a unnecessary step to run every image through another program.

12 Likes

To be more specific about what pixelfix does - it sets all of the transparent pixels in an image to the color of its closest opaque pixel: Pixelfix: Remove the black edges on scaled images

This is Roblox’s problem because the artifacts these images produce are a byproduct of the way the engine handles the images at different scales. If Roblox is unable to fix this at an engine level, it should offer tooling to correct this, because this overwhelmingly presents itself as an unexpected bug to developers, and we don’t have import settings like we do in Unity (remove matte is often used for a similar purpose).

Having to fix this intentionally is a tremendous pain, and I forget to do it almost every time. It’s error prone and wastes a lot of my time having to go back and fix images and reupload them. Roblox should have an image importer in Studio similar to the model importer that gives us a preview of the image, and various options to pre-process the image before uploading it.

But please just give us the bare bones of this feature today, literally just a checkbox in the upload flow for “colorize transparent pixels”. I would argue this should even just be done by default, but some don’t like the idea of their images being modified without choice.

4 Likes

This would be a relief if there was some built-in way to fix these edges when importing them. Currently, I have to use third-party tools such as this Alpha Bleed page, but then it also increases the file size tremendously. It will turn a 205KB file into 1MB, almost quintuple its original size, which really adds up on client memory usage in the long run.

This problem occurs whenever I have 2D icons that aren’t being displayed at their native size. I try to keep images at their original size, but if they’re even off by a pixel, it can cause the flat image to show really ugly outlines.

1 Like

Here’s a temporary solution for uploading a large amount of images to fix the Alpha Bleed.
I created an HTML file that intakes bulk images and exports them as a ZIP file.

Bleed.html (22.7 KB)

(I modified another html file, not created by me, to allow for bulk uploads)