Pixelfix: Remove the black edges on scaled images

Pixelfix

Pixelfix-1

Pixelfix changes the color of transparent pixels to match the color of the nearest non-transparent pixel. Transparent pixels stay transparent, but when resized and blended with non-transparent pixels they won’t cause dark borders.

How it works

Here are screenshots of images in Roblox that have been scaled down, showing with/without Pixelfix and with/without transparency:
Pixelfix-2

Since the transparent pixels are no longer black, they no longer make edges of the image black when resized.

How to use

The ideal way to use Pixelfix is to make an executable file and either drag images to it or use the “Send To” functionality of Windows.

You can grab pre-built executable files from the Github for Pixelfix.

Alternatively, you can build your own by...
  1. Downloading Node JS
  2. Downloading the git repo
  3. Running npm install in the repo directory
  4. Installing pkg using npm install -g pkg
  5. Running pkg with pkg -o pixelfix -t node10-win-x64,node10-win-x86,node10-macos-x64,node10-linux-x64 .\index.js

Once you have a pixelfix executable, you can drag images onto it to fix them. The fixed images are saved over the existing images.

You can also add a shortcut to your Send To menu:

Instructions for Send To menu
  1. Open shell:sendto in the File Explorer
  2. This will open up the Send To directory, where you can place a shortcut to pixelfix

Side notes

I wrote this in Node JS because it was super easy and I used this technique in a previous project. Something written in a more lightweight, low level language like Rust would be ideal, but would also take more time. Anyone is free to take up the idea and rewrite it if you don’t like Node!

You don’t have to package Pixelfix up as an exe to use it. You can use it from the shell with node, but it’s not near as convenient.

Related threads

Here’s a fix by Quenty, but it requires multiple steps per image through Gimp or Photoshop.

You can find a ton of threads about it at this search, such as this thread I made:

392 Likes
Black Outline Around Transparent Decals
Image masking problems on circular UI
How to Plan, Design and Build Quality User Interfaces
Advise on how to avoid white borders on images
MeshPart DoubleSided
An Automatic Pixel Fix For Importing Images
Anyway to take this black outline off
Roblox - Blender Tree Texture
Let's Make A Game
New User Interface
Prompt user to load/save file from plugin
Pixelfix app not working
Black outline whenever I import an image
UI develops black outline when rendered in Roblox
UV map has unwanted blurry/black lines?
Decal/Ear Problem
Black border in my UI, not using shadows or borders!
Stylized leave for tree, white outline issue
Why does my texture have borderlines?
How to fix the black edges Roblox adds to uploaded images?
Tree leaves are turning white under sunlight
Best way to deal with the white seams on the edges of textures?
Solving the biggest issues and bugs with tree leaves and shrubs
Ugly Texture In Studio
Borders around alpha textures
Texturing Imperfections
Turning models into decals
Meshes textures changing color by distance
ImageButtons are weird
White Pixels Are Appearing On Edges Of The Image Of ImageLabel
Alpha textures white outlines problem
How do I make this "Quest" better?
Stylized leaves outline/ stroke issue
ImageLabel has a weird shadow/outline with fully white images
Why are my textured meshes turning white from far away
Pixel fix / black border on Images
Opinions on trees
Weird black outline on ui
Black lines on mesh where seams were
Mesh texture creates lines when zoomed out
Particles have black outlines
Why Adobe XD UI are blurry in studio and how to fix it?
How could improve my build
Help on UI Designing problem!
Uploaded Decal shows black edges
SurfaceAppearance Transparency Glitches
How to make UI styled for simulator (Detailed Tutorial)
What is this weird black line around part of my ImageLabel?
Outline on images?
Pixelfix... for Mac?
Uploading a decal converts the color of all transparent pixels to black
UI Circle Graphic Lines appearing for mobile
Developer for Hire (GUIs) (CLOSED)
Fixing issue with Generating 2D Triangles?
Semi-white border is appearing on images I upload
How to remove black outlines on images
Any idea on how to start UI designing?
GUI Displaying White Border, Image is fine
Importing Xd Assets into Studio
User Interface Black Lines
Ultimate Art Recourse List
I'm having issues with scaled down transparent Images In Roblox studio
Black outline appears when scaling images
How to make UI look cleaner?
UI Design Starter Guide
Fix image upload adding outlines to transparent images
Chipng: Fix edges around your images!
How to upload high quality Image Labels to ROBLOX?
Plugins you recommend?
ImageLabels in SurfaceGuis being down-scaled and looking blurry
Ugly dark borders on clear background images
Problem with UI Icons
Rendering issue creating a black outline around textures that use SurfaceAppearance
Dark outline around decals
ImageLayout collision edges
How to get rid of white lines on image GUI's
White lines around parts

Thank you for this! I feel that this would be very helpful to other users who encounter this problem!

13 Likes

This is great, thank you! Didn’t realise what I didn’t have until I have it :wink:

5 Likes

Awesome!

4 Likes

How do I drag the image to execute file on Mac? Don’t think it works like in Windows

3 Likes

I haven’t tested this on Mac. Pixelfix should work on Mac though, since Node JS and the exe packager work for Mac. If it doesn’t work then the source is available for you to fix it up; I don’t have a mac to test this on.

Assuming the steps needed to run it are the same as on Linux, you need to:

1. Make it executable. You can probably find this in the file properties for pixelfix-macos-x64.
  2. Try dragging a file to pixelfix-macos-x64

In other words, make it executable then run it with your image file as the first argument. On Windows, exe files are executable by default and dragging onto an exe file is a shortcut for running it with the file as the first argument.

7 Likes

I’ve been having problems with black or white pixels around transparent images for ages and the other solutions just don’t seem convenient. Thanks for the easy way to fix them.

1 Like

Agreed. I wrote this guide not too long ago for a relatively quicker way but ideally one does not have to interact with GIMP or any other editing program to do something so simple.

2 Likes

Hi, here’s a comparison of results on my tutorial vs. PixelFix. Both do the job, but PixelFix seems to lose details in certain operations.

PixelFixVsGimp

Update my article too.

11 Likes

Note I think this could probably be fixed with some contributions to the project that’s open source.

1 Like

Do you have these images or other differing images I could examine?

I noticed in the article that the blending the gimp plugin does causes edges to fade to black, rather than filling all transparent space with color. In some situations, this could cause the edges to darken more than they would with PixelFix. This is still better than turning black at the edges, and in some cases darkening at the edges might be desirable.

While this is what I hypothesize is happening, running an image through the gimp plugin produces images with color in all transparent areas i.e. no fade-to-black. This is equivalent to what PixelFix does, so there should be no difference between the two.

I would be interested in checking out the images in the comparison gif. I’d like to see:

1. Do gimp-fixed images darken at the edges?
  2. If not, how do the pixels in gimp-fixed images differ?
  3. If they don’t differ, then are the images saved with different png qualities/settings? It’s possible that jimp (the image manipulation library PixelFix uses) might be saving images in a suboptimal format.
1 Like

The GIMP plugin preserves alpha better, perhaps at a cost of color accuracy.

Since I’m running on a white image (for UI) color accuracy isn’t a primary concern.

Now that you mention this, I think this is just a tradeoff between alpha accuracy and color accuracy. Presumably we can get both, making pixelfix better than GIMP.

Here’s the icon I used:

FireIcon_50x50_Raw

Edit: I have the SVG file if you want, I can pass it to you privately.
Edit: The images definitely differ pixel-to-pixel. The GIMP images do not darken the edges on the pure-white assets I’m using. It will on more colorful assets.

2 Likes

Thanks for the icon! I’ll test it out.

On colorful assets, the GIMP and PixelFix images will definitely differ. The GIMP plugin blurs the edges between colors, while PixelFix does not:
GIMPvsPixelFixSmall

Raw images

base:

gimp:

pixelfix:

While this will cause some differences for colored images, it’s not what’s going on here, since both images are all-white. Whether the blurred image looks better is something that I should look into.

It’s worth noting that this image might be outdated, since the gimp plugin does appear to fill color out to the edges, which this image does not show:

Here is the icon from gimp and pixelfix:
gimp pixelfix

I’m actually not able to repro this difference. Here is a place file: NoRepro.rbxl (17.8 KB)

Here’s a messy snippet you can run in the command bar to see the difference in the compare model in Workspace for 15 seconds, alternating every half second:

local c = workspace.compare for i = 1, 30 do print(i%2 == 0 and 'gimp' or 'pixelfix') for _, d in next, c:GetDescendants() do if d.Name == 'gimp' then d.Transparency = i%2 == 0 and 0 or 1 elseif d.Name == 'pixelfix' then d.Transparency = i%2 == 0 and 1 or 0 end end wait(0.5) end

This includes the base icon prior to gimp or pixelfix processing at the top:

You can also toggle the pixelfix gui inside the gimp gui on and off to check for overlapping differences there too. I’m not able to see any differences between pixelfix and gimp. I’ve checked to make sure my gimp plugin is up to date, and I’ve re-uploaded both the gimp and pixelfix images to make sure that I didn’t misclick.

I’ve also checked their png data and they do have different data, but their pixel output is the same. The gimp image has additional data like time, dpi, and background color. Both have chosen different compression parameters but come out to the same image – I’ve checked that in gimp as well.

I’m not sure why I’m not able to repro this. Are you sure none of the lighting settings changed between the screenshots that you took? Everything looks a bit more “flat” in the Pixelfix screenshot, but that might be because it’s a gif:
vs

I’m not sure if the gif is an accurate representation of the difference that you saw. It would be nice to look at the original screenshots, not gif-ified.

It’s possible that this difference is caused by how gimp or jimp works on different computers, or it could be caused by a difference in how our computers render images. It would be nice to see if you still see a difference between the two icons I posted above. It would also be nice to see if I can see any difference between the two icons that you took those screenshots with.

I’ve already tested the two FireIcon decals in your decals, but I had no way of knowing if those were the ones that you took those screenshots with. I could not see any difference between them.

7 Likes

I was thinking about this issue more, and I realized I made a mistake.

I apologize. I really messed this up. The different is caused entirely by the decals overlapping. I’m a fool. -_-

Sorry about this! I’ve updated my article.

4 Likes

But why hasn’t Roblox fixed this yet?

5 Likes

It’s a performance thing. You’ll see it in unity and other engines too.

I think preferably Roblox would allow SVGs to be uploaded. However, other solutions include fixing things on upload.

However, this does change image composition so it’s not something always desirable, although in 99% of cases it is. I think Roblox could definitely offer to modify images upon upload, or provide it as an option.

3 Likes

I’m having some trouble getting this to run on Mac, when passing a correct pathname. It doesn’t seem to modify the image. I can verify the pathname argument is being received because it gives me a Not a directory error when it’s wrong

The image is a png

Any ideas?

Output: Killed: 9

Could you post a screenshot of the terminal window where you tried to run Pixelfix? It might contain more information that can help solve your issue.

Pixelfix itself shouldn’t put out Not a directory or Killed: 9, but one of its dependencies or the packaged version of node might. The terminal window might contain information about what put out those errors.

1 Like

Nevermind, I think i was doing something weird

Anyway, I don’t know why but I think the pathname argument isn’t being recognised;

Terminal: sudo bash /untitled/pixelfix-macos-x64.command /untitled/settings.png

Script: on: No such file or directory

Script done, output file is started

Maybe I’m doing something wrong and it’s on my end? All of the file path are correct

Turns out I was running pixelfix as a shell script, not a Unix executable, and then you can just do:

/untitled/pixelfix-macos-x64 /untitled/settings.png

And it’ll work perfectly

Well this was a Terminal-learning experience, I’m a Windows person and switched to Mac recently so I’ll blame it on that (lol)

Thanks for the help :smiley:

2 Likes