Analytics: Understand the Value of New Users By Roblox Acquisition Source

Hi Creators,

Today, we’re updating our Acquisition page to help you understand the value of new users acquired from Roblox organic and ad sources:

1. View top 5 Roblox sources for new user plays and revenue
  2. See how new users retain, engage, and monetize by Roblox source

View your top 5 Roblox sources for new user plays and revenue

We’ve added new charts that show you the top 5 sources:

1. For new users with plays
  2. For 30 day revenue per new user (cumulative)

Note: Numbers are illustrative and different for each experience

For example, based on the charts above:

1. Home Recommendation drives the most new user plays but lags behind other sources in 30 day revenue per new user.
  2. This data suggests that you might want to update your thumbnails to attract new users who are more likely to engage and spend in your experience.

See how new users retain, engage, and monetize by Roblox source

We’ve added a detailed New Users Funnel table that shows you how new users retain, engage, and monetize by Roblox source.

Note: Numbers are illustrative and different for each experience

For example, based on the table above:

1. Sponsored ads had the lowest 30 day revenue per user due to weak retention and playtime. Consider using our new genre targeting feature to reach users who might be more interested in your experience.
  2. Friends had the highest 30 day revenue per user. Consider investing in features like player invite prompts to grow this source.

You can click the Acquisition, Engagement, and Monetization tabs in this table to see even more detailed metrics per source. For more details, see our documentation.

What’s next

We are exploring ways to help you track external campaigns and sources (e.g., generating an unique URL for your experience to track metrics) later this year.

Stay tuned for more and let us know if you have any feedback in the comments.
Thank you!

128 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 10 minutes.

I mean, this is okay… I don’t really know if this will be useful to other than popular experiences right now.

8 Likes

This detailed breakdown by Roblox source will undoubtedly help us developers optimize our strategies. Excited to see the upcoming features like tracking external campaigns!

10 Likes

I’d say this update is cool, since YouTube lets you see the sources of the viewers

and it would help us ensure our advertising strategies work well

9 Likes

Is there any way to better figure out what “Other” is (e.g. using Referer header)?

It’s hard to really act on it if you don’t know where it’s from but makes a considerable impact on your game.

2 Likes

Great addition to the analytics! Only thing I’d like to add is the ability for us to see this in-game on the engine API side, perhaps information for where a player joined the game could be added to the Player: GetJoinData() function?

4 Likes

After years and years of poor analytic tracking, to see what Roblox offers now in terms of analytics is amazing.

The jump even from 2018 to now … absolutely wild.

Thank you for focusing on this, keep up the great work.

5 Likes

Thanks for the update but even when we understand more about our audience, Roblox is still not allowing for many games to grow.

Despite updating weekly and trying to push HRCVR to the max, we’ve lost 90% of our playerbase in a few weeks and impressions went down by the millions despite KPIs above 90%

5 Likes

Really cool update to learn more about the players and how they found the game!

1 Like

I doubt this feature is for you, but as a dev for smaller experiences, I’d still consider this a good update! Making conclusions on analytics is understandably not the easiest, but it helps identifying growth opportunities. Examples for this are given as well:

6 Likes

We’ve been looking into the external sources. Referer header doesn’t work well since a lot of external sites intentionally disable it. It also doesn’t work well with mobile apps.

4 Likes

Really amazing job as always! Analytics continues to model how all teams at Roblox should be run.

Super excited for what’s coming next :eyes:

5 Likes

Might be wrong but it seems you’re having a similar issue to what was posted here: Algorithm is extremely unstable right now

Maybe you could add to this topic?

2 Likes

Thank you, done!

I would also appreciate a response @rbxranger7 @signal_zzz

We’re forced to let go off developers on a daily basis that rely on Roblox as an income source and we’re cutting development by 80% as we simply don’t have the funds to continue operations.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry this is happening!

2 Likes

I agree, as somebody who develops mostly for RP games, getting information like this is amazing.

1 Like

This is great for creators to check their analytics in experiences and for getting the revenue in a specific days.

3 Likes

Love it! Give us everything! I would love to see everything that goes into the algorithm. I am curious, does Roblox Retetnion rather than just normal game retention go into the algorithm. Like users returning to roblox?

1 Like

I agree 100%! It would be awesome to track data on specific players and we can use a/b testing live in game to create the most optimal experiences.