Animate your Avatar with your movement

Exactly, Roblox is master at putting priorities on things

And they also are great at making decisions, like making pointless things nobody asked for

This is still a good feature tho, it’s just not a priority

8 Likes

Although new avatar technologies, unlike TextChatService, are one feature that I strictly refuse to concede to enabling for my experiences (including my social interaction-heavy ones), I still have feedback - why is there more disruptive UI when using these features?

Give your developers tooling if you’re going to plow ahead with these features. We as developers should be able to customise the user interface as much as possible and be able to integrate communication technologies into our own interfaces or make them more intuitive if Roblox’s don’t cut it, such as displaying this information when hovering over another visitor’s avatars.

Developers who do want to adopt new communication technologies don’t have years to wait for Roblox to finally start respecting developer tooling on features that have CoreGui basis.

14 Likes

Thank you for the feedback on the UI. We will be following up soon to improve the mic and camera toggle designs.

We also hear your concerns regarding disabling the bubble toggles. For these privacy-sensitive features, we want to respect our users’ privacy and give them consistent and quick access to turn their microphone and cameras off. We are working on some upcoming changes that will eventually allow devs to disable the bubble toggles.

21 Likes

I believe a simple microphone next to the chat topbar button would do good. I’ll give an example in a minute.

10 Likes

My point was more that lots of OS don’t specify WHICH device is using your camera.
So if you have your camera on with Roblox, something else could be using your camera without your knowledge.
Windows does not consistently give notifications for it and said notifications are easy to disable.

But all of these hypothetical scenarios are generally ones where there’s already something compromised with your computer so…

8 Likes

We take privacy seriously and understand your concern. Your camera can only be used after you give Roblox permission in your account and on your device and even then the camera will only ever be active when you explicitly turn it on. When the Roblox client accesses your camera for this feature, your video is processed entirely on-device in real time and only used to detect and track your movements. No other information from the video feed is used and your video is never stored, shared with us, or accessible by us or anyone else. Only the resulting inferred animation data from your movement is sent to the server and other players. You can read more about facial animation privacy on Roblox here.

17 Likes

Please just put it in the top-right context menu (where we can toggle emotes, backpack, and the player list) or the now nonexistent top bar. For muting other players, why did you choose a chat bubble instead of the avatar context menu? I’m curious.

I have an Android 12 device that appears to show a green dot whenever the camera is in use. Many providers seem to offer that feature.

13 Likes

Have you guys benchmarked this feature internally to get a gauge on performance impact?

I think it is important for people to understand the implications of this feature on their battery life, as I am assuming its relatively computationally intensive which can be detrimental to mobile and laptop users who are battery constrained.

7 Likes

While the camera API is available to all developers immediately, we are gradually rolling out access for users. You may find this feature not yet immediately available for your user account. Please be patient while we enable access for everyone.

14 Likes

So first of all it is on all Android 12+ phones, there’s even a privacy dashboard wich show what apps used stuff such as camera or location and when they used it.

Then, Xbox also show if the camera/microphone is enabled, however i think it might only be for Kinect.

9 Likes

Didn’t realize that at first (my quick search for such information didn’t bring that up + my phone doesn’t support Android 12+ so I couldn’t check myself). But thanks for the information anyways! (Also thanks to SubtotalAnt8185 for telling me that information as well!)

If it is Kinect only, then it doesn’t really add much significance to the point, since the Kinect was a failure that most people only have because it was forced onto them.

12 Likes

Alright, thanks. Will it be rolling out for the next month? When can we expect to get access at the latest?

10 Likes

Agreed, no offense to who made it, but it is quite ugly xd

9 Likes

When will developers be able to access voice api, it’s infuriating I cant change listener perspective for precise players, cant detect when people are talking and or not talking, but instead have to find bugs and exploit them to get access to those features.

9 Likes

I really like the update and most likely I’ll be using it but please remove those chat bubbles entirely, both for voice chat and camera and make them a ESC menu thing only or something next to the top left corner, i am working on a third person shooter game and i cant have voice chat enabled because whenever players shoot they turn on the microphone icon making it so i have to shift camera position left or right instead of having it centered.

8 Likes

I can’t speak with absolute certainty, but I’m pretty sure that there are different teams in Roblox that do different things for the platform. That way, each team can have their own priorities and work independently of each other, instead of, say, the graphics design team wasting time by redesigning the icons and logos, instead of fixing bugs and adding features because that’s not their job.

7 Likes

This may be a little irrelevant to the topic at hand, but did this update necessitate the off saleing of several “Classic Faces?”. I hate to ask here, but we have gotten lackluster responses on the other thread.

23 Likes

Hey there! This feature seems to be breaking some games, ive noticed that games like in Combat Warriors it seems to disable raycasting

While the player is in the air combat warriors likes to add air speed, since there is no raycasting the system thinks the player is in the air and adds speed, resulting in infinite speed on slide, this also is seen in ledge climbing, where the raycast cannot be fired aswell as seen in activating a M1 on a weapon with debug raycast on.

17 Likes

The quality of Roblox UI and UX design has kept getting worse, but never have i expected it to be that horrifying. :confused:

16 Likes

I think he means that developers can enable camera communication in their experiences. It’s not like the in-experience ad update where only a select few games can enable it.

6 Likes