Animation does not play on Local Client, from which the LocalScript plays the animation. It plays on all other clients, and on server

I have tried everything to remedy this. I have a script that plays animations. It plays an animation whenever there is a mouse click. This all works fine. This code works for any other animations, except for any animation where I swipe my character’s arm. I have tried other animations with this code, and it works perfectly. I have made completely new animations from scratch, but whenever it is one of the character’s attacks, it does not play the animation LOCALLY. The animation plays, it is just not played on the local client. It plays on all other clients, it plays on the server, but not on the local client in which the LocalScript is. I’m totally lost here. Animations are set to Action priority. Animations are allowed in the game - it is a group game, and the animations are made under the group. The idle animations and walking animations of the character are all lower priorities.

What really confuses me is why it doesn’t play on the local client, but it plays on all other clients. Please find the code I use below, and an attached GIF to show what is happening.

function animateChar(animationID)

local animation = Instance.new("Animation")
		animation.AnimationId = animationID
		local animTrack = player.Character.Humanoid:LoadAnimation(animation)

animTrack:Play()
	animTrack.Stopped:Connect(function() animTrack:Destroy() end)
end

local debounce = false
function clicked()
	if not debounce then
		local speed = 3

debounce = true
		local target = mouse.Target
		local n = math.random(1,7)
		local animationID = nil
		if n == 1 then
		 animationID = "http://www.roblox.com/asset/?id=5571521261" --uppercut

elseif n == 2 or n == 3 or n == 4 then		
		 animationID = "http://www.roblox.com/asset/?id=5571395405"--right

else

animationID = "http://www.roblox.com/asset/?id=5571465830" --left

end

animateChar(animationID)

wait(0.3)
		debounce = false

end
end

Notice how I am clicking on the right window(this is the monster’s client, and it is where the LocalScipt is. The animation does not play on this side, but you can see it play on the other client’s window.

Are you able to attach some file with reproduction of this issue?

From what I see on the video, the animation does run, but much slower on the left side.

What do you mean a file with reproduction?

The animation you see on the left is just the idle animation for the monster. It does not replicate. I can upload another video where there is other animations playing at the same time(such as idle animations), and the animation will still not play.

Roblox file containing the issue where it could be debugged. For example a baseplate with just the script which causes the issue (make sure the issue happens there! If it doesn’t, it means it’s fault of something else what is in your game but not clear place).

For more information please see How to post a Bug Report topic.

Reproduction Files

Upload a very simple place file to your thread that can be used to reproduce the bug. This file should contain the bare minimum to cause the bug to happen.

Always include reproduction (repro) files for bugs that only happen with specific scripts / place setups / instances / etc!

Then save it as file and attach to report. This way it’ll be easy to figure what the issue is.

I think I have finally found the problem, but I don’t understand why. I would have a script that checks the animation length while I play the animation. However, these functions weren’t connected, I measured it by the longest animation track, making a new animation. I’ve removed this function and found an alternative, and now the animation works on the client also. I pray this is the last issue I have with this.

Your suggestion helped me find the solution, as I experimented turning every line on and off in the script. A lesson learned for me in my programming career. Thanks for helping

1 Like

You’re heading down the wrong path with your current code. You’re creating a new animation object as well as loading it each time your character attacks.

Have the animation object premade inside the local script, and load it once.

I whipped this up quickly, its how I do my animations when I have a lot of them.

local animationDirectory = ? -- Set this to wherever you are storing the animation objects

local function newAnim(n)
	return player.Character.Humanoid:LoadAnimation(animationDirectory[n])
end

local anims = {
	Uppercut =		newAnim("UppercutAnim"); -- change these to whatever object is called 
	AttackRight =	newAnim("AttackLeftAnim");
	AttackLeft =	newAnim("AttackRightAnim");
}

local debounce = false
function clicked()
	if not debounce then
		local speed = 3

debounce = true
		local target = mouse.Target
		local n = math.random(1,7)

local anim

if n == 1 then
			anim = anims.Uppercut --uppercut	
		elseif n == 2 or n == 3 or n == 4 then		
			anim = anims.AttackRight--right
		else
			anim = anims.AttackLeft --left
		end

anim:Play()

wait(0.3)
		debounce = false
	end
end

Another thing is, unless your game is first person (even so I don’t see it working out well), I definitely wouldn’t recommend using mouse target for melee attacking. You can use Part.Touched or run Part:GetTouchingParts() in a loop.