Animation editor does not place pivot on MotorD6 for custom rigs

DESCRIPTION

When creating an animation for a custom rigged model, some of the parts, when selected in the animation editor, has the wrong pivot location. For example, in the attached custom rig, if I select the head, then the pivot is not on where the MotorD6 is, but at the front and off to the side. I expect the pivot position to be at the MotorD6. I have all plugins disabled and the problem still happens. This is high impact because I am unable to use a custom NPC (creature) that I’m building for my game.

Things that I have tried:

• Disable all plugins.
  • Copied model to new place file.
  • Restarted Studio
  • Restarted computer.
  • Deleted the MotorD6 joint and recreated it.

WHEN

Just now found it when I was trying to animate a custom rig. I do not know when this originally started happening. For the attached rig, it happens every time.

WHERE

This happens in Roblox Studio Animation Editor.

VISUALS

Visual from the Roblox Animation Editor.

Visual from RigEdit Plus (A rig editing plugin by Arch_Mage).

REPRODUCTION

Using the attached place file, the issue can be reproduced as follows:

1. Open the Roblox Animation Editor.
  2. Create new animation.
  3. Select the head.

FILES

Studio - Animation Editor Pivot Error.rbxl (222.4 KB)

3 Likes

We’ve filed a ticket into our internal database for this issue, and we will update you when we have further information!

Thanks for flagging!

2 Likes

It’s been about 3 months since this was reported. Is there any update?

Hi there, my apologies for the delay.

It would seem that this issue is related to the fact that EyeFront, LeftFang and RightFang are children of Head.
If you move those parts out of the Head and make them direct children of the model TombHorror, the draggers behave properly.

It is possible, but I am not 100% certain, that having parts as children of other parts will cause other issues at some point, so I would strongly advise you fix the rig accordingly. Nevertheless, I’ll work on a fix to handle that case.

Cheers,

I see. It shouldn’t be an issue to move them since there are welds in place. I have other models that are animated that have parts (like glowing eyes and such) that are direct descendants of other parts like Head which doesn’t cause a problem. Those are R15 rigs made with the Rig Builder. Does it have something to do with the fact that this is technically an R22 rig that’s custom?

The issue was not due to the rig being custom. There was an assumption in the ACE that wasn’t correct when parts are parented, and it didn’t properly deal with that.

Regarding your rigs that work properly despite having parts as children of Head, maybe those parts aren’t also connected to it through a Motor6D. Those parts are silently ignored when it comes to building the animation hierarchy.

1 Like

Hi there!

We believe this has been fixed a few weeks ago. Please let us know if you are still having issues.

Cheers,

Sorry, I’ve been working on other things atm. I’ll check. Yes. It seems to be working correctly.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.