Animations are not working in studio, but are working in-game (sort of)

Hey everyone I’ve been troubled with this issue for about 2-3 days now. Specifically the sprinting and jumping animations are not working, sometimes it looks as if they are trying to play, but are very jittery. This only happens in studio. Once I go on Roblox to play the game, the sprinting animation works, but the jumping animation is still jittery and sometimes just won’t play. This is extremely frustrating as about a week and a half ago all of my animations were playing just fine, and now half of them are broken and I have no idea what is causing it.

I actually reverted the game back to a much earlier version when I specifically remembered the animations working properly, and now they won’t even work in an earlier version. I also tested the animations on an empty baseplate. The only scripts being used were the ones I used to play the animations, and the animations were still broken, meaning there’s an issue with my script (which as I said before I hadn’t made any changes to at all and they were working perfectly fine a week ago), or there’s an issue with the animations themselves. I’ve asked many people in dms and stuff and I’ve gotten a lot of great suggestions on how to debug, and none of them seem to work, however I have narrowed down that it must have something to do with the animations and/or script that plays them, but most likely the animation.

This is how I load the sprint animation:

local sprintAnimation = ANIMATOR:LoadAnimation(script:WaitForChild("SprintAnimation"))
sprintAnimation:AdjustSpeed(24/16)

For the jump animation, I literally just forked Roblox’s default animation script, then changed the jump animation ID:

Any help is much appreciated, but I’ve tried so many debug methods I’m almost convinced this is somehow a Roblox bug, but I haven’t heard anyone else complaining about it.

The forked Animate script is recent or old?

The forked animate script is from about a month ago. I forked it again yesterday, and the animations still did not work.

I also just tried reuploading the animations and they still were not working.

This topic describes a similar issue:

Try using this ancient version of the animate script (I forgot what rig type it’s for, but it doesn’t matter if you change the IDs):
Animate.rbxm (7.0 KB)

I’ve just realized something. I tried uploading an older animation just to see, and it worked fine. I looked at this older animation, and the keyframes were grey, while my new animations that aren’t working are yellow.

Do you or anyone know what yellow keyframes mean in animating?

The color of the Keyframe is an easing style. Grey means linear easing style.

That sounds like something to do with your AnimationPriority.

Higher priority animations will “overwrite” lower priority animations, and there are 7 different priorities. So try to change the AnimationPriority in your Animation Editor to something higher like Movement or Action.

I know what animation priorities are. The issue is that the lower animation priority is overriding the higher animation priority, when it should be the other way around. Also, that only happens when the animations actually play, which are only in-game.

I’ve seen issues with priorities before. To debug this further, in workspace:

• Disable retargeting
  • Add an attribute called “RbxLegacyAnimationBlending” and set the value to true.
  • Test in studio (will not work in game).

Still isn’t fixing the animations. I tested with some animations from the toolbox and those are playing, but the priority issue is still persisting. I am going to look back through my code and edit how I play the sprint animation, as that could be an issue here possibly, but I don’t understand why they would be working completely as intended a week ago and now they are broken, and it’s just the sprint and jump animations. All of my other animations are fine.

Its a bug

The 2nd one is the one I’m having. I’ll provide some additional details in that report.

As for the first one, no idea why the animation doesn’t play in the first place.

Second one is the exact issue I’m having as well. Thank you so much for this.

Also, maybe you already tried this, but does reuploading the animation fix the issue?

I tried reuploading my animations and it did not work. However, I did try reuploading older animations and those worked. The animations I’m specifically talking about in this topic were made about a month ago. Really hope Roblox fixes this issue because unlike other games, my animations sometimes will just not play at all.

No, it does not. However, reverting to a version created in May of 2022 worked for me.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.