Animations don't work as intended in studio on rigs if they have keyframes assigned to parts of the player's real character

This bug started happening yesterday out of nowhere, my characters are custom rigs, how they work is that the torso of the rig (which connects the other parts of said rig like arms, legs and head) is welded to the player’s real character humanoidRootPart, it’s pretty much a costume, it hides the real body of the player and only shows the rig.

rig

Recently the animations have been playing in really odd ways, constantly glitching and overlapping each other, it can’t be anything related to the animation weight or priority as I have checked both things several times already and everything looks fine so far (and also because they worked just fine until now). I also do use my custom animator instead of roblox’s default Animate script but that can’t be the problem as it always have worked until just now and to make sure I even used it in to animate in another game that use roblox default characters rather than custom rigs and it worked just fine. This behaviour can’t be seen in game, only in studio.

In studio, the animations behave like this:

In-game, they behave like this:

Everything I have found so far to kind of fix it is to make sure that all animations used in said rig don’t have any keyframes assigned to any parts of the player’s real character, but even with that the animations still don’t work sometimes.

Here’s another clip after republishing all of my rig animations removing all keyframes assigned to any parts of the player’s real character (Torso, Head, HumanoidRootPart…).

They work fine but I already have lots of animations that do have keyframes assigned to parts of the player’s real character and republishing them one by one again just doesn’t feel practical, as this did not happen until just now and it would be weird for this to be intended behaviour. If there’s more information needed please let me know.

30 Likes

Yup this just happened to me, Blown away but the amount of issues roblox creates.

4 Likes

It’s affecting a project I’m working on really badly. We rely on an additional character welded to the player’s character that are animated at the same time using one animation [I know this is flaw, but we already got hundreds of animations], and it’s just breaking it completely.

2 Likes

My game has pretty much the exact same setup, and its causing issues as well. Luckily its only broken in studio.

The animations are incredibly broken, playing them doesnt actually make them play until some other animation gets played? But it doesnt work with all animations?? Extra Motor6Ds connected to the characters limbs are also affected. Its really weird and frustrating.

1 Like

Yeah in game is fixed but now Studio is broken with it, hooray!

Has been happening to me in studio. Even with normal R6 rigs it started bugging out.

It’s kinda impossible for me to work on my project ‘cause the rig was basically broken and the animations play for .1 seconds only.

2 Likes

oh phew i thought i was the only one that was going insane, for mine the idle animation overlaps another animation that has a higher priority

3 Likes

…Still broken in studio oh my god roblox please Fix this, its been 2 days.

3 Likes

A discovery has been made: this bug does occur in live servers, but only on mobile devices. This makes this issue more severe.

whatever you see happening in studio also happens in live servers, but for some reason the client plays animations correctly as if nothing ever broke regardless of the platform

Are you sure? I tested it out myself, and playing in a live server on PC has no issues, but on mobile the bug does appear.

it looks like it does appear on mobile, i just now checked. when the bug first appeared it wasn’t like this and behaved no different to pc

This is true, it happens in studio test mode sometimes and it also happens for all mobile players. My players found out a temporal solution that is doing “/e dance” or any other roblox classic emote to make the animations play properly, but other than that, the computer players didn’t seem to have an issue with it. just got the issue in test mode in studio.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback!
Does this behavior happen in server view as well, or only client view?
What if you spawn a server with two clients?

3 Likes

When spawning a server with two clients, it doesn’t change. However when going into server view, it seems to be working fine.

The left side of the image is the server view, with a limited viewing of the model welded to the white character, playing an animation on the white character that also controls the welded model. The right side shows what the client in the play-test server sees. This happens on every single character and is making development really hard.

1 Like

After testing on my own, it appears to be r6 animations messing with the rig animations. If any r6 keyframes are present on the rig animation, it causes weird animation delay when played, regardless of animation priority. And when having r6 animations playing in the background of the normal rig animations, that’s what causes the flickering. (example, the rig idle and the r6 fall animation will interfere and cause t-posing and flickering, or having a rig animation with r6 keyframes will cause flickering and delay)

I found this out just for fiddling around and finding out that removing the jumping and falling animations fixed flickering, and removing r6 keyframes from my animations fixed any playing delay or tposing.

4 Likes

Also completely different note, I’ve been having trouble with animations not playing properly. You’d use an attack or something in a server, and while the animation plays out, the timeposition is constantly read as zero and never changes. I can’t find a way to reproduce it, but it’ll just appear on some animations in public servers. Almost like its failing to load, even though you can visually see the animation play.

Started happening the same time this bug appeared, might not be related but thought I’d bring it up. Can’t find a solution to it either.

Thanks again for this feedback.
Do your affected animations target any R6 parts?

1 Like

It doesn’t affect any of the base character’s limbs, from my experience. Only the welded rig seems to be affected- but only when it’s the rig is a character; my parts have the name “Left Arm” and “Right Leg” in them, I figure that is where the conflict is happening. No other rig I have it being affected by this.

Ok, we have a lead on this and are working on it.
Thanks for your feedback and patience!

9 Likes