Animations behaving strange today

Reproduction Steps

Join BedWars (BedWars 🍎 [GOLD APPLE!] - Roblox). Players walking animations are not playing properly (seem to be shuffling).

Expected Behavior

Expect animations to play normally (as they did yesterday without any change from us since).

Actual Behavior

Animations appear as a shuffle:

Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Other
Impact: High
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2023-02-13 00:02:00 (-06:00)

14 Likes

I can confirm, this issue is happening to me as well.

I don’t recall it being weird like this earlier, but for some reason this evening it has started to act up.

I believe this has something to do with the WeightedAnimationBlendFix change that was sent out a bit ago. Perhaps the Animate script provided by Roblox is outdated and needs a patch?

Any insight on how we could manually fix it ourselves, or any insight on a possible future fix would be awesome.

Here is the problem:

1 Like

This could be the solution: Revert back to "old" running animation

Turns out it may be a “race” issue, as in the script loads way too quickly before the character is ready and it causes the animations to be applied stiffly.

If you add a task.wait(1) at the top of the Animate script (you’ll need to fork it), you’ll notice it no longer causes the issue.

Using the legacy animation blending is not recommended, and you should be properly layering animations, or awaiting a fix from Roblox. I’m sure this fix will come quite quickly (maybe even overnight) due to the high frequency of events, including the severity.

We’ve made a configuration change in the last 5 minutes to attempt to address this.
Is the problem still occurring?

2 Likes

It appears after multiple different play test sessions (with and without the added task.wait()) the issue is no longer occurring.

I use a forked version of the animate script, but whatever you changed seems to have affected the forked version without needing to get a fresh copy (since I rely on a modified version for server walk sounds)

(tl;dr Yes, it seems to be fixed)

Thanks for your feedback!
We will continue to monitor the situation.

2 Likes

Thanks for your feedback!
Was this artifact appearing on other player’s characters, or only on your character?

1 Like

I should probably tell you this quickly because I’m still active at the moment;

I’m not sure if the original poster had this same observation (since they’re using R15, and I’m using R6)

But, I noticed that only your character has this bug. Me and my friend were preparing for Open Alpha release, and noticed that the bug was happening on our own screens to ourselves, but the other player appeared just fine.

I believe this means that the local script in question that was handling local player animation replication, was at fault. (Which means the Animate script wasn’t comfortable with internal changes)

1 Like

I have a starter character which sometimes fails of course it is not always but sometimes it happens when the character takes time to load not exactly me but I have seen cases of other people

how weird, just noticed this myself and I was working with my own animations’ module, I thought I caused it in studio :laughing:

Thankyou for your feedback!
This fits a working theory we have that this issue would not affect replicated animations.

Thanks again for this feedback. If you remember, did the games in question have streaming enabled?

I first noticed this issue on one of my games yesterday, it does not have streaming enabled. The bug looks like it has been fixed because I joined multiple games and animations appear normal.

1 Like

All the experiences I joined with this bug did not have StreamingEnabled. They also did not have the WeightedAnimationBlend property enabled either.

1 Like