Animations do not work in studio if you are not the owner of the place

Bear with me, this is a weird bug I just discovered.

If you aren’t the owner of the place that’s associated w/an animation file (E.g. Simbuilder created Animation A, and the place you’re editing belongs to Simbuilder, but you’re not Simbuilder), the animation will not load (Silently fails, no output). If it’s a group asset it’s fine though (Because the group is technically the owner of the asset, and you’re a member of the group who has that asset).

Only applies if you have team create access to a non-group game where the animation’s creator is an individual user, and not a group (If it was a group trying to access a player animation or vice-versa that’s expected behavior).

Repo’d on Mac OS and windows 10 (Fresh build). Only occurs in studio testing sessions.

Repo steps:

1. Make a game on account A.
  2. Make a new account (Account B, let’s call it).
  3. Grant account B access to account A’s game via team create (Where the owner of the place is account A).
  4. Have account A upload a new animation file to the site.
  5. In studio, try to have account B play the animation made by account A. It will not play in studio. But account A can play it in studio just fine.

This is a game-breaking glitch in studio, as a client of mine granted access to their place via team create, and I can’t fix their code because the animations fail to load/silently error out.

12 Likes

This is not a bug, but an inherent technical limitation of animations not being shareable for moderation reasons. You should comment on the Public Animations feature request in order to support this.

4 Likes

Makes sense, just figured there’d be an exception carved out if player A was editing player B’s place. I’ll comment on there - ty for the info!

Edit: Suggestion is now live.

1 Like