Announcing Collision Groups Editor

Super! I was actually thinking about asking for something like this the other day. This will actually give me a reason to use collision groups.

It shipped with Dark Theme support.

2 Likes

This doesnā€™t seem to scale very well. I only have 7 custom collision groups and the widget takes up the whole viewport on my 1080p monitor:

It would be nice if the layout mirrored the Tag Editor plugin:

In short:

• List layout by default which allows me to easily set collision group (as thatā€™s what Iā€™ll mainly be doing with the plugin)
    • Also allows it to nicely dock in same group as existing widgets
  • Collision grid not always visible (for the most part I only change this when I create a collision group, so I rarely use this relative to setting the collision group of a part)
    • Can be opened by clicking a ā€œEdit collision groupsā€ button at the bottom of the widget or something. Opens a second widget since it probably wonā€™t fit in the listā€™s widget without being extremely inconvenient to use
    • Maybe make a little more compact. Thereā€™s an abundance of whitespace and while itā€™s good to have the checkbox elements large, they might be a big too large
    • Add border/grid lines to collision grid so I donā€™t lose my place

Also, I agree with some of the UX concerns brought up previously.

• Clicking a collision group should set selected partsā€™ collision groups to that collision group (this is my #1 use case for the plugin, so it should be front and center)
  • Selecting all parts in a collision group should be a sub-option somewhere (I rarely, if ever, would use this)

Finally, WRT to selecting parts in a collision group:

• If I click ā€œDefaultā€ by accident or unknowingly, I freeze Studio because it selects tens of thousands of parts at once
  • It can be difficult to find anything of value because components are hidden behind terrain/other objects
  • It can be difficult to find anything of value if thousands of parts are selected at once
  • Ideally Iā€™d just be able to use the existing explorer filter to find these parts, but the next best option is for ā€œselect all partsā€ to be converted to a part explorer. Will need to page results with infinite scrolling so loading a list for groups like Default donā€™t freeze Studio
    • This addresses previous problems because I can select individual parts and press F to zoom to them, and single out important parts from the list instead of looking in the viewport
15 Likes

Still no scroll window :c

1 Like

Hello there! Sorry to drag up this thread again but, is there a way to clone a gameā€™s collision groups into another game quickly?

I have a number of groups set up and Iā€™d hate to have to create each one tediously again.

Thanks!

1 Like