Announcing Datastore APIs for Open Cloud

Hi developers,

After planning, implementing, and testing over the past few months, we are excited to announce the launch of Datastore APIs for Open Cloud!

The vision for Open Cloud is to empower an application ecosystem where you can either build or find all the tools you need. Having a rich set of APIs is at the core of this initiative. We started with the Place Publishing API so you can automate the continuous delivery process.

Based on the community feedback, we understand that supporting Datastore endpoints will be super valuable. Previously, you could only access your production data either from Studio or a live game, which is inconvenient for many use cases such as offering customer support (CS). The new Datastore API means to unlock your productivity by automating many of your key workflows. Some of the tools you can potentially build include:

• Customer support portal: You can build a web application that allows your CS agents/moderators to view and modify player data when handling player support requests.
  • LiveOps dashboard: A Liveops dashboard can allow you to schedule in-game events such as Halloween parties by updating Datastore in real-time and also monitor the key metrics.
  • Data migration script: script that reads from current datastores, changes the schema, and writes to a new datastore.

The new Datastore APIs have the same functionality as Lua ones. You can list datastores in an experience as well as listing, reading, and writing entries in a specific datastore. We understand the importance of your data, and so designed fine granular permission control when creating your API keys, which include datastore entry operations (create, list, update, and read), versioning (read and list), and datastore creation and listing.

You can not only set experience level permissions, i.e. apply to all datastores in the experience, but also select only a subset of datastores needed for your tool. The latter will further limit the API key to only accessing the selected datastores, which mitigates the impact in case your key gets leaked. The gif below shows how you can set both experience level and datastore level permissions:

ds-api-key-demo

To get started, check out our tutorial and API reference, which includes helper code in Python to use the APIs. You can also go to the Creator Dashboard to create your API keys.

Let us know if you have any feedback! We can’t wait to see the amazing tools you will build with the APIs!

Cheers to higher efficiency,
The Roblox Creator Services Team

336 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 10 minutes.

This is very exciting! This release unlocks so many possibilities, and I’m really excited to see what Roblox developers will do with these APIs.

I’m hoping we see more endpoints for basic information, like user, group, and asset info, in the future. These are very common use cases for Roblox’s legacy (or “bedev1”) APIs.

Would it be possible for us to get even more granular controls over what an API key has permission to do, like only editing specific fields or only writing specific data?

16 Likes

This benefits us a lot, but one question:

Will there be more Open API Endpoints now that IP Changes invalidate our account’s .ROBLOSECURITY Cookie?

17 Likes

Love the permissions makes it seem more safe then the crazy undocumented apis i used before LOL

4 Likes

Will using the undocumented apis become obsolete now?
Before you were able to use them and without rate limits, im interested in if packages such as RbxDataStoreService from mdf labs will become obsolete such as the one below

2 Likes

For anyone using my DataStore Editor plugin: Yes, I am making a web app version with this.

Early version screenshot:

Early demo:

107 Likes

What would be the use cases for this?
I’ve never used API keys, so excuse me for the bad question!

That’s great! Now datastore editing will be extremely easy (and safe!)

Will we be able to create API keys with access to only certain DataStore scopes in the future, to give to authorized external services?

2 Likes

I used this to build a site from scratch that allows users to read the Lua Learning tutorials from outside of the Roblox game!

27 Likes

Ayyy, Roblox out here pushing out the amazing updates! Great job, I’m proud of Roblox.

4 Likes

This is an amazing update. I really hope there will be another amazing update with a messaging service api out soon

1 Like

seems a lot more safe which is really good

1 Like

I’m so glad this has been added, this update opens so much posibilites and even more oppotunites. I have used other databases such as mongoose and created web servers in the past for datasaving but with this I no longer have to pay for hosting for my webservers. If you have ever used an external database before you would know the benefits. It opens so much posibilites such as:

• Live userdata updates
  • More control over your datastore
  • Dispaly user stats on your applications

And even more…

With this developers could now create web applications or a discord bots that update, create and even delete user data.

300 req/min/universe Does also sound great, this is one of my favorite updates

Now all we need is Roblox OAUTH :+1:

5 Likes

Great update.

A quality of life improvement to consider, would be adding x-rate-limit- and x-retry- to the response headers as seen in services like GitHub and Discord, to dynamically manage these rate limits (and across distributed systems), especially if Roblox decides to alter these rate limits in the future).

10 Likes

Nice! I can’t wait to see it in action. Thank you roblox!

2 Likes

Woah… don’t know how I will take advantage of this, but I plan to!

2 Likes

Does this mean we’ll also see the direct web APIs properly exposed on the gamepersistance API doc pages instead of having them hidden?

https://gamepersistence.roblox.com/docs

2 Likes

I am extremely excited with this update. I can not wait to test it out for mysefl!

Yessss a good roblox update, way more secure