Announcing the Bug Report Wizard Beta

I imagine this will be the same as it is currently, as the generated topic is still a topic and the engineers can reply to it, tag you, send you a private message, and post updates on that topic.

2 Likes

This is a step in the right direction. Sad to see that “members” can’t use this. It seems to me that this form should prevent bad/uninformed posts.
I don’t see a reason why this shouldn’t become available to everyone on the forum.
It is currently impossible (or really difficult) for members to post a bug report. Being a member myself I find this discriminating.
Does being a member mean one can’t post a good topic? Not in my opinion…

11 Likes

I agree.

I currently participate in the Bug Bounty Program, and already have competence with security related vulnerability reporting, so for this to be accessible to something even members cannot reach (aka Regular) seems to suggest anyone who isn’t a Regular isn’t competent enough to use it, which offends me, seeing as I have existing knowledge of reporting bugs.

I really suggest that this is at least made as an application level opt in.

I am personally disappointed to see yet another important feature be locked behind a rank which currently is inaccessible anyway.

15 Likes

It’s only the beta. I’d rather the team spend their time working on the product and reading the bug reports than spend the time reading applications.

There are enough regulars for them to successfully beta test it so there isn’t a need to add extra workload for the sake of it.

Once they’re happy, it’ll be opened to all.

7 Likes

Okay, so why not ask some to apply for access?

If it’s about bug reports being valid, I’m highly certain white hats like myself are more than eligible to do so, seeing as we already have experience with things such as HackerOne.

I’m fortunate to have access to a few direct channels, of which have the capabilities of filing internal reports, if you get what I mean.

However, others aren’t always able to do such.

3 Likes

Considering the fact that topic creation will be possible on such categories only with this Wizard later on, I think that you should implement a plugin that automatically enables it once a bug category has been chosen. It is really bad UX to force the users to visit the category pages, especially since TL1 users will be able to use that feature once it is fully ready. Some newer users may not know how to do that.

I don’t know if you forgot doing it or you just plan to do it later on, but you also need to update the “How to Report Bugs” topic.

Finally, I’d like to ask if this is the PA replacement. What will happen with Feature Requests?

1 Like

It looks like you are not aware of the Discourse limitations - access to categories can only be given through trust levels or groups (in this forum, you can get access only to the international categories through groups afaik).

An application system wouldn’t be scalable, with dozens of TL1 users applying every day. This would be too much work for DevRel, and it wouldn’t even be an exaggeration to say that the applications would all be finally reviewed after this feature is available to the public.

As you can understand, promoting all those users to Regular is impossible, since TL2 users earn more privileges along with Bug Reports posting. The only solution would be to create a group for that, but I heavily doubt this will happen.

1 Like

I answered this in my reply. It takes time to read and approve applications and it’s not necessary. The purpose of the beta is to test the system. They are capable of doing that without having to spend time adding more people to the beta.

The restriction is nothing to do with capability or skill. If it were, it would be open to everyone, as the entire point of the tool is to make it so that everyone can post reports without needing to be an expert or a white hat or have much experience at all.

This is a beta, not a release.

5 Likes

If, on the one hand, it is said that this model will speed up the correction of newly reported bugs, on the other hand, the current bugs reported by the forum will be of lower priority, right?

1 Like

A very nice feature, glad this was made.

However, it’s still very disappointing that bug reports are locked to regulars only, especially considering bug reports are the only way to get regular.

I’ve had countless, reproducible issues with both the website and studio that have gone unreported so far, and allowing members to post reports through an approval was a good way to get it out there.

5 Likes

Quite disappointing that just Regular & + can report!
Members will never rank up because there is no way without bug reports even though I reported some and also had been here since 2017. I understand that it must be filtered but there are members with some real and maybe important bugs and replying to the feature topic will not always work.

7 Likes

Great news!

Nice to have a better system.

2 Likes

How are you so certain of that? They didn’t state it in the OP.
I do hope that allowing everyone to post bug reports is one of the main reasons for this change.

1 Like

Excuse me, is this a preparation for the upcoming replacement for PA (Post-Approval)?
Because this still being kinda useless if regulars can only use it…

How do i report a bug if im not a regular?!

2 Likes

Ye I’ve reported quite a few uncommon bugs before and not being a regular really makes the process difficult and annoying to the point were I’d rather just not go through the hassel.

I’d hoped this would be avalible to non regulars but that’s clearly not happening and I have no idea what it takes to become a regular anymore as it seems like the automated process doesn’t exist anymore.

3 Likes

What a funny example you made there lol…

Once i become a regular, I’ll be glad to check this out! Looks like a pretty good way to report bugs

1 Like

This is interesting feedback, thanks. Right now the category the topic is created in is determined by the responses to the questions in the wizard.

4 Likes

Will this new system be open to members with the ‘Member’ forum rank after its beta testing phase?

3 Likes

This is an amazing resource. Do members still will need to mesage DevEngagementTeam? How will that be handled?
Answered above:

@TheCarbyneUniverse

@TheCarbyneUniverse
Your screenshot didnt load

2 Likes

Hopefully this actually makes roblox notice their bugs more faster, roblox is extremely slow with bugs

2 Likes