Announcing the New Roblox Creator Roadmap (Part 1 of 4)

To be really honest, while i do actually believe in those promises of becoming a reality, i also believe in the fact that said promises may or may not end up being very limited and automatic for no reason or just straight up a bad deal (eg tied to some other feature for no reason) when finally given in the hands of the developer.

2 Likes

Bless the transparency, hoping it keeps up and this survives as a living document for a long time. Developers understanding the platform direction at all levels is important to Roblox’s ability to receive meaningful feedback. We need to understand how everything fits together before we can make value judgements and other assumptions.

10 Likes

I really appreciate the effort that has gone into presenting all of this information neatly. It’s nice that everything has a dedicated page now.

Some notes;

While the use of clickable ‘expanders’ to reveal and hide section content is visually clean, I find that it’s not really what I want as someone reading the roadmap. It hides by default the information that I want to read through.

How often is the roadmap going to be updated? Any vague period? It’d be nice to know that it will get updated at some reasonably regular interval so that we can be sure that the roadmap reasonably reflects what Roblox’s priorities are at most points in time.

If we have notes or important considerations to suggest for some of the things on the roadmap, is there any way to connect with the teams or be able to present topics for consideration?

For example, I would love to be able to submit some of the UX notes I’ve personally made about how the Studio Ribbon could be improved, and I see this is an area which is being looked into on the roadmap.

I assume that the points are vague because the specific details are being explored at the moment. Depending on where certain items are in the research/development process, it would be nice to have a snapshot into ideas that teams are noncommitally playing around with.

To continue the Studio Ribbon example from earlier, it would be nice to see what the teams consider problematic about the current design, and maybe even some vague signposts towards the UI directions they may explore.

When proposing things for the roadmap, I presume you are clearly identifying something that needs to be solved without closing doors to solutions. This level of detail would allow the community to connect and point out anything that might be missing or misunderstood, without prescribing solutions or setting expectations.

This is really good to see though! Thank you for providing this roadmap. :slight_smile:

23 Likes

Amazing news as I see! I am mostly looking forwards to 2 second game loading times and fast Team create joining. As games are getting bigger and bigger I am glad to see these performance upgrades.

3 Likes

Yeah it’s something that really needs to be re-added

1 Like

Taking Action on Copies of Roblox-Created Limiteds - Updates / Announcements - DevForum | Roblox

4 Likes

Giving everyone the opportunity to upload accessories would be a very bad idea. While I understand that the intention behind this idea is to promote creativity and inclusivity, I firmly believe that this move may have unintended consequences that could negatively impact the overall user experience and the value of exclusive and original accessories.

First and foremost, the introduction of user-generated accessories to a wider audience raises the possibility of duplicating exclusive and original items. Currently, the limited nature of certain accessories contributes to their desirability and rarity among users. By allowing everyone to upload accessories, we risk flooding the platform with countless copies of coveted items, diluting their value and undermining the concept of exclusivity. This could potentially disrupt the delicate balance between the supply and demand of rare accessories, adversely affecting the in-game economy and diminishing the excitement associated with owning unique items.

Furthermore, an influx of user-generated accessories might pose challenges in terms of quality control and content moderation. While the Roblox team has been diligent in curating the UGC program, opening the floodgates to a much larger user base could lead to an overwhelming amount of low-quality or inappropriate accessory submissions. This not only creates a burden for your moderation team but also risks tarnishing the reputation of the platform as a whole. Maintaining a high standard of content is crucial for preserving the integrity and professionalism of Roblox.

Another concern arises from the potential infringement of intellectual property rights. Allowing users to freely upload their own accessories without proper regulation may inadvertently enable the unauthorized reproduction of copyrighted or trademarked designs. This could expose Roblox to legal issues and damage its relationships with content creators and intellectual property holders. To avoid this, robust mechanisms for copyright infringement detection and prevention would need to be implemented, placing additional strain on the resources and infrastructure of the platform.

Lastly, expanding the scope of user-generated accessories may result in a cluttered marketplace and make it increasingly challenging for developers to gain recognition for their creations. The current UGC program serves as a vetting process, ensuring that only the most talented and dedicated creators have their accessories showcased on the platform. By removing this exclusivity, it becomes harder for exceptional designers to stand out, potentially discouraging them from investing time and effort into their work. Consequently, the overall quality of accessories available to users may suffer, leading to a decline in user satisfaction and engagement.

14 Likes

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

5 Likes

I’m praying that video frame is included with this, we’ve been waiting for three years by now! But I’m glad that you guys are posting updates for us to not be left in the dark!

8 Likes

Thank you guys for kind of giving us an update on this! As for the Roadmap I like it and I think a lot of other developers like it to because it makes us feel like we are creating with you guys instead of just making experiences for Roblox!

2 Likes

Nothing on the roadmap mentioning servers on south america and other countries… Isn’t it about time to make the game smoother for everyone?

6 Likes

Exactly, when is low end mobile devices going to stop being an excuse for not implementing occlusion culling!!

1 Like

Love the update! I wish I would of had the roadmap when I first started developing on Roblox… :no_mouth::no_mouth:

2 Likes

@Roblox

When are you going to fix the pathetic excuse of an update that is the Byfron client? I cannot launch games due to it being broken on my system, which is hindering my development career.

I’ll be quitting Roblox soon if these issues aren’t resolved, and I’ll go and develop games on one of the competitor sites.

5 Likes

The Byfron client removes 32-bit support, are you on 64-bit?

Also Roblox has competition?

2 Likes

Great to see some transparency finally! I hope this was a first step in an overall push to a more open future.

P.S. Please get the new bug report system done ASAP, it’s extremely annoying that only handpicked devs are allowed to report problems. We’ve been promised a new system for a while and yet nothing has materialized.

3 Likes

As cool as AI workflows can be, I don’t think Roblox should be providing their own systems for them. Leave this up to developers making the games. Obviously, everyone can make the choice on their own to use or not to use AI. By developing AI solutions (or just interfaces connected to things like ChatGPT) in-house you are promoting the usage of them.

Democratizing game development by slowly removing the need for actual developers is not democratization. You are just moving closer to a system where individual creativity dies.

AI is good as a tool to help develop games, not to develop them for you. Things like the material generator sound like they’re meant to do just that. There is also the massive concern of AI being trained on databases that do not have the original artist’s permission.

Beyond these concerns, the roadmap looks good. Very excited for faster testing in studio as this has always been a major pain point for me.

6 Likes

Everything looks great for the Creator’s Roadmap, I’m excited about what you guys have for next week. Except maybe the part about any creator’s being able to make UGC items. I don’t know if I trust the types of stuff being made at the moment. I still think the restrictions we have seem good enough for the platform.

2 Likes

It indeed is, and I would appreciate if Roblox would be more transparent about how they plan to address this.

This is a result of a rushed rollout of the Byfron update, they should have done it over a few months, not a few weeks, removing the 32 bit clients for people who can’t actually use the 64 bit client due to crashes was a TERRIBLE decision and may result in me ending my over a decade long time on this platform if a fix doesn’t come soon.

I’m a paying customer and a developer, and I would expect better communication in relation to critical issues like this.

I was told they would “get back to me” after “looking at my logs closely” yet I haven’t heard anything from the admin I spoke to in around 3 days now, it’s disgusting how slow these issues get resolved nowadays.

Back in the day when I first joined, you’d just have to PM Telamon (Shedletsky) or Sorcus and they’d sort you out lmfao.

7 Likes

This is amazing. Roblox is shifting to a more creative and less restrictive system and I’m 100% here for it!

2 Likes