Announcing the New Roblox Creator Roadmap (Part 1 of 4)

Hey @JoshSedai, VC Moderation has a fatal flaw and major issues- we have expressed our issues and concerns for months and yet not a single staff member has even acknowledged this problem.

Any way you could get this forwarded the the correct team? Countless devs including myself have continued to receive false bans with no reason/proof and no way to appeal.

Thanks,
Ethan

1 Like

These are the potential issues I foresee with implementing your idea on the platform, particularly in terms of perceived inequality:

1. Inequality perception: Offering enhanced support to high-revenue creators could create a perception of inequality or favoritism among other users on the platform. This could lead to dissatisfaction among lower-revenue creators, who might feel overlooked or undervalued.

2. Scaling challenges: Providing dedicated support to high-revenue creators would require additional resources, such as dedicated staff members or specialized support teams. This could be challenging for the platform to manage, especially if the number of high-revenue creators grows rapidly.

3. Determining eligibility: Defining the criteria for enhanced support might be difficult. The platform would need to establish clear guidelines on what qualifies a creator for enhanced support and ensure that these guidelines are consistently applied.

4. Potential abuse: There could be instances where creators try to exploit the enhanced support system, either by exaggerating their revenue or by trying to game the system in other ways.

5. Balancing priorities: While it is important to support high-revenue creators, the platform should not neglect the needs of lower-revenue creators, who might also be contributing valuable content to the platform. The platform should strike a balance between providing enhanced support to high-revenue creators and maintaining a fair and accessible support system for all users.

6 Likes

The transparency is fantastic! This is wonderful addition!

I can’t comment on the issue (not my domain), but I will pass the feedback along to the right folks.

4 Likes

This is a MASSIVE improvement from previous iterations of roadmaps. Great work to the procurement team that put this together.

Super excited to try out the global winds system once it releases.

Please fix the animation editor bugs :pray:

I saw “cloud collbaoration”, please confirm that we’re not going to have another cloud places fiasco like a few months ago.

As well as that. There’s a few plugin API updates that I’d put on here, I mean, if DragDetectors get this big of an update, surely some new plugin functionality wouldn’t hurt (cough PluginInputService)

1 Like

Looking at what we have so far, this looks like it will be the best year for Roblox yet!

Just kinda sad that Apple Silicon support didn’t make it in there even though I knows it’s coming and already being tested already.

2 Likes

Hey, I noticed that you were active in this thread, and I had some questions that I would like if you passed over to the developer team if you are unable to answer them.

When the voice chat beta feature is officially out of beta, will every single player on Roblox, be able to use voice chat? And by every single player, I mean all players, including ones who live in countries that have VOIP banned.

I also wanted to know when is the voice chat API getting released because it is so restricting to not be able to control the voice chat and do cool stuff with it like working phones or walkie-talkies or team only voice chat, etc.

will we in the future ever get news or updates about VideoFrames and user uploaded videos? I’ve been wondering and waiting for when this feature will be available for all creators and it’s been nothing but radio silence for 3 years now. It’s really sad that an update this cool and promising got abandoned as soon as it came out. I really hope it isn’t actually abandoned though.

Thank you!

7 Likes

Thank you so much for the roadmap, excited for the future.

3 Likes

The fact that Roblox has been adding dark mode to everything now is a big plus.

3 Likes

I think this roadmap is great and although the dates that it will be updated are a bit vague, it’s a step in the right direction. I’ve had a couple concerns with some of the features that have been added to the roadmap, namely;

Community-led Marketplace - All creators can publish avatar items to the Marketplace, including Limiteds (Late 2023)

A couple of people have pointed this out already, but this will not end well. Even with a handful of people being allowed to create UGC there are still problems in the system such as counterfeit limiteds, creator-exclusive items, and UGC limiteds being flawed. I believe that even with ID verification, releasing the Marketplace to everyone will only enable these problems to be exacerbated. I hope that with the inclusion of this comes with a ton of checks to ensure these problems do not persist.

Future Lighting Android Beta - Future lighting model available as a beta feature on Android devices (Mid 2023)

This will probably not cause as many problems as rolling out the Marketplace to everyone, but I still think this will be problematic, especially if Future Lighting does not get further optimised. As it stands, there are few Android devices (excluding gaming phones) which could run Roblox while staying stable if Future Lighting were implemented. I’ve seen some devices like a Samsung S20 struggle when it comes to running Roblox even with Compatibility Lighting. I hope that Future Lighting can just be more optimised and run better, it’s an amazing lighting system and I would love to see it operate on other devices.

4 Likes

I think a remarkable feature needs to be added: actual Light Rays, instead of 2D Images.

This could add a better atmosphere.

I’m also glad that all the features will likely come in 2023.

5 Likes

Thank you, this is very much appreciated.

1 Like

I agree these are important questions, however Josh most likely cannot answer them based on his previous response.

2 Likes

Absolutely! Roblox has been overdue for dark theme across many of its products. It’s not entirely new by this year but they’ve been doing a good job with having dark theme available.

…except, modern pages are now experiencing the opposite effect. Whereas dark theme hadn’t been available on main pages for years, new pages such as those found on the Creator Site do not have any white theme at all. It’s something I want to see and have supported a feature request for.

I functionally cannot look at Roblox’s dark theme. It’s incredibly hard on my eyes and sometimes causes my vision to get really fuzzy if I look at it for even more than 2 minutes at a time - genuinely by the way, not overexaggerating the time. It’s a site I critically need yet lack proper accessibility on. I never have and never will want to use Roblox with dark theme. Roblox, Studio and the DevForum have always stayed on white theme for me even when dark theme was announced way back.

10 Likes

Hi Roblox, is there any plan to improve the management of Asset in Studio, for now we can`t create any folder to manage our asset storage in Studio, which makes it hard to find the proper assets like image if I have imported lots of them. And it performs weird when I try to search a Non-English-Named image directly from some Attribute Row like ImageLabel.

2 Likes

That is not good idea to give everyone acces to upload accessories and limited, what will be with currently ugc creators?

2 Likes

This is good

I’ll leave my questions and requests for the upcoming AMA, but I am quite happy to see transparency like this. It was often frustrating being left in the dark until RDC or a random announcement. Though I do hope that the roadmap will be expanded with more details and more specifics in the future.

While we’re on the path further improve transparency, I also hope that there will be more points in time to communicate. There are many things that developers would like to discuss and it would help a great deal if we at least got some sort of response. Whether it be something that’s being taken into account, something that’s already noted, or even if it’s not a priority at that point in time.

Lastly, looking at the current roadmap, I do hope there will be more in the ways of engine capability. All of these features are great and all, but Roblox is still lacking in other ways. I won’t write a whole list, but I will at least mention the lack of GPU API and no way to create custom shaders or effects. But if you do want a bigger list, here’s a related thread:

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/if-you-could-make-any-service-what-would-it-be/2190595

4 Likes

some of that stuff is very exciting! im excited to see what else comes from this

2 Likes