Announcing Unlocked Avatar Scaling: Expanding the Roblox Universe

However we can’t substitute years and years of catalog purchases with a few free items. There are many accessories to use for users to customize their avatars with, and Roblox should incentivize the use of these accessories in-game rather than encouraging developers to make their own systems to customize avatars, at extra expense of the users.

We really don’t want existing accessories to become as useless as gear now where they’re merely for looking interesting on the website itself, and Roblox plays a big part in encouraging that.

11 Likes

The issue that you describe with Gear is now repeating itself with Accessories and clothing. Having these items adds value to your gameplay, but since they are both out of reach of players and because developers don’t benefit from Roblox-bought items, they have all the reason to provide players with these items either for free or for in-game currency.

With the more rigid Rthro packages, we would need more free accessories/clothes/items to make up for the lack of customization flexibility. And then some more to prevent the website character from becoming meaningless in games. Or there needs to be a way of acquiring more accessories over time, such as having Tix-exclusive items in a world without currency exchange.

7 Likes

Very mixed feelings about this

22 Likes

I am actually feeling 50 / 50 on this. In all honesty I’d be totally sold on this idea if we had support for vertex deformation. The fact that the limbs aren’t connected is already ridiculous on the R15 model. How will it look any better on Rthro?

10 Likes

This will be fixed when they start rolling out the Artist Intent mode for R15 rigs.

3 Likes

Still though :stuck_out_tongue:

The Artist Intent (from what I can see of it) definitely makes it better, but I still hope for deformation! :smile:

4 Likes

This is the true ‘anthro’ feature, isn’t it? The execution of this feature so far seems really good, so people don’t need to be afraid of it. Good job, Roblox team! :slight_smile: Excited to play with this in the future.

1 Like

This limits the amount of creativity and variety of the userbase, as an end result of this decision most Rthro Robloxians will end up looking very similar. It also greatly minimizes clothing maker’s roles in roblox’s over all customization. I feel this decision is very much against the roblox core value of creativity.

An easy solution to this would be to finish UV mapping the test package published by roblox, and release it as an official package. This would allow users to still use Anthro, but also have the full customization options of R15.

Please consider this solution, as it would allow many more people to adopt Rthro without feeling like they’re losing out on their ability to express themselves creatively.

40 Likes

The new packages should come with shirts and pants. Packages, (which are now called bundles for some reason) are able to store body parts, heads, gear, and accessories. They can just come with clothing, and then whatever accessories are on the body are part of the package. Existing packages already allow for this. This would give a nice default look while also allowing for customization.
examples:

Edit: the other packages will still work as others have said, hopefully the starting ones still include ones that work with custom clothing

6 Likes

Just to clarify, when you say scaling and “…players will be able to scale all the way to 100%”, you are referring to the ability to change the appearance from a blockly look to a more smooth Rthro look. (In other words you are not referring to avatar size scaling, such as height, but rather the blockiness of the avatar).

Is this correct?

No. Scaling does not refer to blocky/smooth – that is entirely dependent on the package. Scaling affects character height and proportions (see the video in the OP)

4 Likes

I think packages are called bundles now because they’re going to introduce Script Packages for game development. Just to avoid confusion, I guess.

4 Likes

Check the video in the OP – there are no anthro-only or R15-only packages. All packages support both R15 and anthro, including the existing packages you have that support clothing.

7 Likes

I’m aware. In that same video though, you can see some large issues with the knees on packages not designed with Anthro in mind and there isn’t enough footage to say for sure what other weird issues may occur. So, while yes technically they can turn on Anthro without one of the new packages designed specifically for anthro, they won’t have the same physical design consistency and compatibility as other packages built with anthro in mind.

Roblox internally appears to be treating packages/bundles designed for Rthro separately from their standard packages. Otherwise this section of their FAQ wouldn’t have even been added in the first place;

All of these have pre-applied clothing. Will Rthro packages ever support custom user clothing, and if so, what’s the timeline (far after Rthro releases, soon after, etc)?

2 Likes

To address the first part of your post:

4 Likes

Will Rthro deform the current clothes for R6 and R15?

5 Likes

That question is there because when a small group of developers was asked for thoughts on the new avatars, we weren’t given a whole lot of details, and I asked that mistakenly assuming that anthro packages could not be used with R15. I’m guessing what the answer meant is that for packages that have built-in accessories, regardless of whether they are for anthro or not, the built-in accessories will not be covered by clothing, similarly to how existing packages behave the same way.

2 Likes

Rthro is just a set of scales for R15. It allows us to scale body parts from the classic R15 shaps to the new Rthro shape. Rthro is not a new set of joints, body parts or packages. It is simply a new way to scale body parts to achieve a more natural, human shape. All existing and upcoming packages, accessories, and clothing can scale to any point along this continuum to give players and developers the most flexibility in choosing their desired appearance.

12 Likes

I don’t mind these characters, they look pretty awesome.

But this default character just looks horrible

36 Likes

I need this, Rthro default dance must happen.

6 Likes