Announcing Unlocked Avatar Scaling: Expanding the Roblox Universe

I think its scaled to the wrong proportions in the thumbnail. Roblox will likely update this soon.

2 Likes

Did this update remove the BodyScale values inside of Humanoids? They don’t seem to appear in live servers anymore (but they do in play solo). I don’t know how to scale people anymore.

1 Like

The Scale value objects under Humanoid should still be there.

1 Like

That’s weird, they aren’t showing up for me. I fixed it by putting them there manually though. Was I supposed to be doing that in the first place?

1 Like

They should be there automatically unless your Humanoid is R6. If this is happening with R15 humanoids, does it happen in-game or only in Studio? If in-game, please provide a link to the place without the code for creating the values manually. If Studio, you may not have the latest version of flags – restart Studio to see if that resolves the issue.

It’s just studio. All-the-same, if I see it happening again I’ll just make a bug report.

I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong, but changing these settings has no effect when I load my character into the world. I’ve tried putting the sliders in multiple positions and I don’t see any changes. I really have no clue what I’m doing, is there documentation somewhere?

the body type slider is locked to 30%, if you want to see anthro in action, you have to change in manually in game.
first go into play mode and then select your character in the workspace
scroll down till you find the humanoid
open it up, click
and change whatever value you have to 1
and then you will have anthro scaling.

if you want it to be a gamewide thing, its not enabled yet, they said in the opening post that it will be a few days

2 Likes

Thank you I was confused about which features were active and which weren’t. They said available to developers only, so I figured it was a beta list thing. Thanks for the help!

Hey all! I wanted to hop in and try to clarify a few things brought up this thread in one post…

Funky knees

The distortion around the knees is due to a couple of things, both of which were mentioned by other posters, but just to make it all official like… Artist intent (referred to as “costume-based joints” in some places) was released a little while back as an option, and will be enabled everywhere shortly. However, we are only now updating existing R15 assets with custom joint positions. These updated assets with their updated joints will address most of the issue pointed out.

As mentioned, there’s also the issue of characters being built out of discrete, non-mesh-deforming parts (like action figures). We’re not taking that leap yet, but we are tweaking some key existing assets to reduce the problem, and we are designing new “Rthro native” characters with that in mind to hide the seams.

Shirts and Pants

Free avatars - We totally agree :). Without being too specific, we will definitely be providing enough free content to give players something to experiment with, but also keep in mind that all existing content can be used with the new avatars and will scale accordingly.

Support for shirts and pants - We absolutely intend to support this. We’re in the process of investigating the best way to it. As was mentioned by another poster, one solution could be to release a “blank” character that shirts and pants could be projected on to, and that’s something we’re exploring. We’re also exploring the right way to let user generated content “show through” these new assets as appropriate. There are some new challenges with these characters though, and we just don’t want to rush it.

Existing Accessories

I think the thread sorted this out, but just to be extra clear… Existing accessories should work with new “Rthro native” content exactly as they do with existing avatar content. All attachment points are the same for the new content, and they’re relocated as appropriate to accommodate more varied body shapes.

Holler if I missed anything :slight_smile:

31 Likes

I have been using the existing anthro motion-capture animations for my game’s R15 characters because they are more realistic and in general just look better. As you mentioned you have recently begun updating these assets that I’m using and they no longer appear the same on the R15 character, hence the “funky knees” thing.

My question is, is this animation package (or other motion-capture packages) going to made available for R15 with this release? or in the future?

5 Likes

Because the animations are using the same rig, they will work with R15.

5 Likes

Hey Developers,

As of this morning, full Rthro scaling has been enabled for all developers and players. You should now be able to allow players into your game at full, 100% body type using the Morph Panel released on Monday. Last week, we also enabled “Artist intent” (referred to as ‘costume based joints’ in some cases) on all places in order to provide you and your players the best possible experience, no matter the scale you allow players to join your game. You can read about the full changes here: Announcing Unlocked Avatar Scaling: Expanding the Roblox Universe

We are announcing this change to developers early so that you have time to enable full Rthro scaling in your game, should you want to. Starting tomorrow, players will be able to access both free and paid Rthro- native bundles, similar to the ones shown in the images from the original post. We will be promoting games that have full Rthro enabled on a special page and directing players to those games. If you’d like to submit your game for consideration, please complete this survey: https://survey.roblox.com/s3/Roblox-R-Thro-Game-Spotlight-Sign-Up

We’re excited to see how you leverage these new scaling options in your game! Let us know what you think and leave any questions you might have in a comment below.

Best,

The Developer Relations Team

62 Likes

“Roblox be killi’n it”

lol awesome release guys, keep up the awesome innovation!

6 Likes

Maybe I’ll just have to get used to it…?

20 Likes

Anthro generally works better with packages other than the block rig.

4 Likes

I guess it’s personal opinion, I just get the uncanny valley vibe from it.

Edit:

I’d actually like to add some additional thoughts. I’ve always been in favor of Roblox’s ‘controversial’ updates such as packages, way back in the day, and R15 more recently. However, I think character proportions have played a bigger part in Roblox’s brand identity than strictly block characters have, so I was never against those updates.

But take Minecraft as an example, its one of the most successful games of all time, and yeah they have slightly more anthropomorphic characters, but their character proportions and blockiness are also part of the identity. I’m sure they have the technology and money to make the game have Fortnite characters but they don’t because it wouldn’t suit the games identity anymore.

I do understand though that it’s great for developer customization. Some games might look great in Rthro with certain packages, while others might not. I just don’t feel it works as a ‘standard’ Roblox look. In terms of the standard look, I don’t think this is a step we should take. To me it looks like we’re taking a step away from Minecraft (the second most successful game of all time) and taking a step towards IMVU and SecondLife, which we all know are WILDLY SUCCESSFUL social games. However, like I said, I do understand that it might be good for some specific games. I’m specifically talking about the standard / default look. This should be more of an update for developers rather than players, IMO. I don’t think these proportions should be the default ones when you make a new account, not sure if that’s the intention in the future though.

Also, one more thing, this is just my initial first impression thoughts. I definitely need to experience it more, before I can form a real opinion. So just take this post as just my current observations.

TL;DR - To me this seems like it should be an update for developer game customization, rather than being the future standard Roblox look, as I feel it takes away from Roblox’s brand identity and just makes it look like another weird social game like IMVU. But I do admit that I will need to have more experience it before judging it properly.

57 Likes

It really depends on the package. For some of the existing organic packages, once you walk around with 100% anthro for a while and switch back to 0%, they look like chibis. Somewhere in between 0% and 100% looks better for these. For packages like the redcliffe/overseer knights in the OP’s screenshot, they look pretty decent with 100% anthro (ignoring animations). Roblox, uh, has a lot of work to do in figuring out what kind of packages to avoid (e.g. plaid+brown jacket due or the ones copy+pasted from the Unity asset store), but the scaling itself looks decent with the right packages.

5 Likes

I hope players will get used to Anthro. It truly has potential. uwu

1 Like

I like the emphasis on congruency between old and new models rather than a complete rejection of a distinct past artstyle
I think vertex deformation on R16 limbs is the ultimate end for avatars feeling as congruent as possible. Going back to 6 parts and perhaps a joint/ “segment” system inside each part- idk.

2 Likes