Anthropomorphic Avatars

So were the avatars made like this to compete with Unity? I think I remember I predicted something like this would happen a while ago

1 Like

This really shouldn’t be added, everyone has known ROBLOX as that blocky game, and this would be deviating too much from what ROBLOX really feels like and should be.

3 Likes

But it might show what Roblox could be. I just hope that Roblox won’t force this on us and takes the time to perfect this before rolling it out.

If Roblox is trying to compete with Unity. . .

lol

1 Like

That is what I was thinking as well. :wink:

1 Like

I don’t see you going against mesh parts?
Just because ROBLOX was once restricted to a blocky aesthetic does NOT mean we shouldn’t allow developers to deviate from this aesthetic. Criticize the look of the bodies all you want, but this is probably the worst arguments and this kind of mentality only serves to hold the platform back and restrict developers from making games look how they want to look.

Anything that gives me tools to create more accurate and realistic characters and animations is a good thing in my book. I like the new characters, I’m not sure where the hate for them comes from.

1 Like

For the inf time, people aren’t against the “blocky aesthetic” change, Everyone loved the Union, MeshPart and Smooth Terrain features, it’s about the fact that they’re changing the way people look at ROBLOX as a whole, ROBLOX is ROBLOX because of the lego rig, the characters you see roaming the front-page places are what’s going to representate the platform in general.

If you ask someone random on the street about ROBLOX, chances are they

1. Have no clue what Roadblocks is, or
  2. Say it’s that “lego spin-off”

Exactly, ship it as an easily installed plugin, free-model or just as a checkbox under place configurations, just don’t make it the face of the website. ( which would be by adding Anthro Catalog assets, making people able to change their profile page to it, ect )

8 Likes

And things can and most likely will change
ROBLOX is deviating away from platform loyalty and more towards game loyalty with this you can expect more and more platform-wide associations to break down and become more game specific. Which has already been happening.
I don’t believe there’s any way ROBLOX should specifically ‘feel’ like or should be aside from being a platform for letting people create games.

Your argument mainly persists on the basis that developers will always keep the blocky characters and will never opt for a different style. Which may not even be the case.

Please quote me on that, I specifically said

Developers can opt to more realistic body-styles all they want, I don’t think anyone is against that, atleast I am not, and I thought I made that pretty clear. Having pre-coded and pre-built anthropomorphic avatars for people who need it isn’t a bad thing, but having it representating the website is. ( Which has nothing to do with development )

So no, my argument doesn’t mainly persist on the basis that developers will be forced to make blocky rigs, if you interpreted it that way, please quote me and I will edit my post.

Also, I find it quiet sad that you want ROBLOX to deviate from what it already is, and become another indie game platform. You’re basically saying that ROBLOX is trying to become Gamejolt, or Newgrounds, which I don’t quiet agree with. If you want to make Indie games and release them on a more mature and game specific platform, there are already plenty of choices out there. In my eyes, ROBLOX is its own thing, and should stay so.

4 Likes

ROBLOX is its own thing, and provides many features other platforms don’t, but as I said ROBLOX wants to deviate from platform loyalty and more to game and developer loyalty.

What you’re asking for a quote on - here

This specifically refers to the blocky characters on front page places that represent the platform. This statement unless my interpretation is wrong, is running on that ROBLOX developers (and many front page successful devs) will stick to the blocky aesthetic/blocky characters and won’t deviate from it which may hold true for now, but isn’t very reliable in the future.

ROBLOX is another indie game platform to a degree - as you have other community stuff to do like war groups, or building showcases which I think ROBLOX will cater to these for a long time. Thats another part that makes them unique, but I can’t see ROBLOX holding a single aesthetic besides web page design forever.

Okay, your interpretation is slightly wrong then, because I stated that I am all for developers opting to more realistic body types, and if every single front page place does so, then that would be, well, weird but acceptable, because there would still be places running the classic lego rig, and the catalog and profile pages would still representate ROBLOX. And that’s where my arguement ends, I am against the idea of having this representate 90% of all places and become an official avatar with official catalog assets, I am not against the idea of having this morph available for people who need it for their places.

Also,

Ofcourse you can’t see that, it has already happend plenty of times ( all web layout changes, logo changes, feature removals and additions ) and it will continue to happen, because every platform goes through phases and change and I, for the third time, am not against that. I am all for changes and improvements, but just not this one, I don’t want these Anthropomorphic Avatars to representate the website, to me, thats like if Club Penguin changed
From this image
To this image

( rest in peace )
13 Likes

My very honest but still neutral opinion :

The entire thing about a new and hopefully totally optional Anthropomorphic Rig is;
probably simply a free animated realistic playermodel.

Which is just meant for the percentage of the user base which is in need of a own realistic sized humanoid shaped playermodel.
BUT usually in some few cases not in possesion of the needed development skills ; or neither the needed time or any other necessary resources in order to make an own.

Which is for example a even rather common circumstance due to the usually very low age of the majority of roblox’s users.

Yeah …thats probably the most logical and obvious reason of this entire Anthro Rig… meaning as far as i can tell.

Back with another post:

I’d love to see Roblox make an anthropomorphic avatar, but if it’s just gonna look like an R15 screw up then I wouldn’t want to see that.

R15 is bad enough because of the way you run and walk and jump. The joints are clearly visible but compared to the new anthro, they are way less visible. The anthro Roblox has proposed is too early to implement and considering the fact that the R15, as I said before, could still use work.

R15 looks super good imo. The joints are visible, but that’s because it’s R15 and not R150

3 Likes

Please let the FEW gamedevs who want ‘real looking characters’ create them themselves.
Nuff said.

9 Likes

I’ve got to say my person preference is to have both the head and the body together. Disembodied heads aren’t my thing to be fair

R15 is used more on-site then in-game. Talked to @EchoReaper about it. R15 in-game isn’t very nice and with the limited animations, they should add more animations that don’t feel so weird to walk and run with. Just some thoughts on both.

What makes you say it isn’t nice? I personally love the way it looks and feels to use, far better than R6.

Is there something specific that turns you off or is just generally?

I do love the R15 and that whole idea, but the animations throw me off. It’s a bit too much money for me to buy some more animations so with the animations I currently have, I don’t even use them because the default animation is the only one of the few I have that feels good.

If there were better animations that are directed towards a real life feel or something I would spend money to get them. I just don’t think the current animations feel smooth, more like a rough sketch.

2 Likes