Anthropomorphic Avatars

Oh yeah, I just use the R15 default ones. Best one imo lol. I’m a vanilla type of guy tbh

1 Like

Personally if they went w/ a design similar to the Q-Clash ones, I’d be all for it, but w/ the current examples, no thanks.

3 Likes

Hopefully this hasn’t been suggested before.

It would be great if anthro could be a free model, or automatically in roblox studio, in which you can base future rigs for humanoids off of if you don’t wish to use the default r6/r15 rig. It could be a default model for the animation plugin too.

2 Likes

I would greatly like that!

2 Likes

This feature would be great as an option - I didn’t like how ROBLOX forced Smooth Terrain. I still wish there were a way to go back, even if it’s just to make an old game look the same. I like how R15 is an option, and I like how R6 is an option. I hope games don’t force this or R15, the feel of the game should be up to the creator.

4 Likes

I would feel a little easier about this if I could see the thing wearing around 50 different outfits, hats, and faces just for the sake of seeing how it comes out. Plus this is going something I don’t see almost any current game implementing at all.

This sort of thing would have slowly gain momentum, and if people don’t like it, players or creators alike then you won’t see it on the front page. If you don’t see it on the front page, it’s more discouraging to even consider using it.

Some developers may take this thing and flip it on it’s head to fit their game entirely by scrapping away whatever the player had. Consider the way ScriptOn went about doing his own form of character for his new game.

Anyways my point is, this could be a great blank slate for future titles that want to gamble on it - but right now I wouldn’t lift a finger to even implement this into any of my current games just because the scripting, building, clothes, everything has been for the standard ROBLOX character R15 (I pulled away from R6).

3 Likes

I didn’t know this was a thing until 5 seconds ago, those proposed changes are nightmare fuel. If some developers want to make stuff like that for their own games and it fits the style, they should go right ahead, but something like that should never be the default. I think they’re really close to perfect with R15, the character scaling options allow for easy minor stylistic changes and packages with R15 have the potential of changing a character to what fits the style of your game (to some degree).

If they want to release it specifically as an option in studio, for devs who want to make more realistic content to use as a base, that’s cool, but it shouldn’t be a player option, it should be a developer option.

9 Likes

Yeah, please not have this displayed on the website as characters, it’ll look so out of place

1 Like

If they go the Q-Clash route with the characters. Then I"m 100% down for this everywhere, but knowing how ROBLOX is, it’s not likely.

8 Likes

Watch as it’s a test and they blow your freaking minds with the final product.

1 Like

Those kind of assumptions always result in the worst possible final products because we don’t give enough feedback.

2 Likes

Off-Topic -
Yeah kind of the reason for me posting this https://devforum.roblox.com/t/communication-among-developers-and-admins/52327

On-Topic -
Anthro is a good concept for UGC to get people who have custom bodies in on the system.

I don’t like this idea, personally. ROBLOX wasn’t built off of avatars that were supposed to look human like. Why change that? Doesn’t make any sense to me.

2 Likes

:sob:

5 Likes

If we’re going to go for realistic proportions, we should use an equally realistic face as well. Barbie Ken’s face doesn’t match up very well. Deep in the uncanny valley.

11 Likes

ROBLOX wasn’t built off a lot of things we have today. Visions and ideas change. The end desired product for ROBLOX changes. This is one of the worst arguments you can give. Plenty of better ones have been presented in this thread.

7 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like

Found these on gametest1.

RobloxScreenShot20171130_125628627RobloxScreenShot20171130_125614822RobloxScreenShot20171130_125342011RobloxScreenShot20171130_125528117

3 Likes

Any sign of the one wravager linked earlier?

Nope. I suspect it’ll return as like a package or something though.