Any fix for the Meshpart big shadows?

Hi !

I ran into some lighting issues as I was testing to create a terrain kit made of MeshParts.
The bigger they get, the darker the weird shadows spot inside is. If the mesh has creases a verry dark spot is noticeable, it is unwanted.

While Box colision seems to be the solution to fix it, I can’t use it everywhere because the players will walk on the surface.

These are my limitations :
• I need precise colisions with the character.
• I need to take care of the performances, so invisible duplicates with precise colisions on top of visible "BOX colisions MeshParts is not an option I would consider easily.
• I will add a few Meshparts next to each other to create cliffs, ground, etc. And it increases the shadows presence could lead to pitch black shadows.
• I need shadows, or else it looks verry bad, so cast shadows must be ON, as well as global shadows.
• I need to keep the control over the lighting so Global shadows and Colors must be untouched.

The only solution I can think of would be to have MeshParts be thin with a small bounding box for the terrain kit. The shadows seems to be generated at the center of the bounding box, and the bigger the darker.
Doing so I would sacrifice creativity and some ease of use for the artists who build.

Anything I can do to fix this mess quickly ?
Or is it a known issue the Roblox’x engineers will fix anytime soon ?

Thanks

3 Likes

After further investigation it seems to bug with Voxel and compatibility Lighting.
The issue here is that the experience must support Voxel, we need mobile support.

The strange thing is that it occured with shadowmap/future (first post image) but after I moved the models to a brand new place it was gone…

See it here :

Voxel is used on all Technologies unless the player’s Graphics Level is above 3/10.

The issue is that voxel lighting is very approximate and it uses the mesh’s collision mesh to figure out what parts of it are empty, and what parts have geometry that need to cast voxel shadows.

Unfortunately, I do not think there is a way around it other than using a different lighting technology and dealing with the fact that the issue will still be present on lower graphics levels, or changing the CollisionFidelity.

Changing the CollisionFidelity doesn’t need to impact collisions, though. You can have one copy of the part with the correct CollisionFidelity, but invisible, and another “visible” copy that has no collision, but is visible.

1 Like

Thats a bug that can be fixed.

Why not only using the “Box” the colision render method or whatever it truly called, while having the ability to get better collision fidelity at the same time on the same Meshpart ?

Having twice the amount of Meshpart is also unacceptable for mobile users.
I am also having this issue with Shadowmap and Future (first image of the first post is shadowmap).

Realistically it shouldn’t be, unless you have to do this millions of times.

1 Like