Anything related to roblox main features not loading on PC

Nothing loading on Website, Studio, and Roblox Apps

For about a week now I have been unable to load anything on the roblox website, app, studio, etc on my computer.
I am able to login and play on other devices such as my phone on my home internet

I cannot even play games (including my own)

At first I thought it was because roblox was down but I can clearly see on https://status.roblox.com/ it is up (7/15/23).

Repro

Not sure how you could reproduce this but here is what I’m using

• Browser: Firefox & Edge
  • Extensions: none
  • Antivirus: Windows Defender & Malwarebytes
  • Firewall: Enabled
  • ISP: Google Fiber
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super
  • CPU: Intel (R) Core™ i7-9700 CPU @ 3.00GHz
    I am not using ethernet/wired connection. I am using a wireless connection.

When opening an experience page I get this response:

Things I have tried so far

• Logging in and out (2FA errors forcing me to use quick login)
  • Clearing cookies
  • VPN
  • Separate browsers
  • Removing all extensions
  • Disabling Firewall
  • Disabling Antivirus
  • Using iPhone hotspot
  • Restarting wifi

Browser console errors

I have noticed in my browser console I am getting a ton of errors, more than usual.
I can provide a browser log file if needed.

The errors consist of:

• maxAttemptsReached (could be rate limit???)
  • CORS Error (I tried using CORS Unblock extension… no luck)
  • 404 Errors, tons of them which are causing the CORs errors

Even on roblox app, i get 404 errors constantly, it seems like roblox is just blocking me from there site and not giving me files from them resulting in 404s.

Console Tab Errors

Network Tab Errors

Thanks in advance :+1:

Could this perhaps just be a shadow hwid/ip ban. If it is please just let me know so I don’t have to go on this wild goosechase to get access to roblox again. Thanks.

Other occurrences

I have made a post on reddit about this (r/RobloxHelp)
It seems others are having similar issues, same as described above

Another similar post: Reddit - Dive into anything

Here is a devforum reply of someone reporting similar problems:

Here is a person on the downdetector website reporting this EXACT issue

Due to the mass amount of people with this issue this should be higher prioritized in my opinion. Its a very strange bug/error though so not sure how this will be fixed.

When running on a VM

When I run roblox on a VM everything works as normal, so it is something locally on my PC.

Example:

Opening a private server join link

This is what I see when I open a private server join link (Error Code: 529)

BTW almost every roblox api endpoint responds with a 404 on my computer.

Log/dump files were attached to the internal ticket by a Roblox Staff (@Focia19), due to the sensitive information they may contain, will not be shared publicly!

9 Likes

Still not fixed as of 8/27/2023 (27 August 2023)

1 Like

I’m really curious about this because this looks like something has gone catastrophically wrong with your network configuration, especially given the fact that using a VM works fine.

I’ll just start off with something small here. Can you give an example of an API website that is throwing a 404 error? e.g. https://develop.roblox.com, https://thumbnails.roblox.com, whichever one is doing it. Just to confirm, show what the 404 error looks like in a browser too.

5 Likes

If your referring to my local pc network config i did a full network reset and even uninstalled the Killer intelligence software since its known to block some things, and it didn’t change anything. I could be missing something tho.

https://thumbnails.roblox.com/

https://develop.roblox.com/

Okay, cool. Can you open up a Command Prompt window, and run the following command:

nslookup thumbnails.roblox.com

and show the output of it?

1 Like

yeah sure

Oh wait, I just realized that nslookup doesn’t account for all domain name resolutions. Whoops - I thought it did. Sorry about that.

Just a few things:

• can you run ping thumbnails.roblox.com and show the result of that?
  • can you also show what your hosts file looks like? Open C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts in a text editor and show the contents of it.
1 Like

Oh, yeah. This has happened to me several times recently. The last time I had that happen, I updated my browser and that seemed to fix the issue.

Maybe it was just luck? A coincidence? It wouldn’t hurt to try if you haven’t already.

1 Like

Hey @tarneks2,
I’m a Computer scientist and may found the Problem. When specific modules (Buttons, Login Service, Images etc.) doesn’t work correctly, it’s oftens a problem with the IP-Address. In this case it’s seems like a IPv6-Address Issue.

I’m assuming that you know what an IP-Address is.

Why do I think it’s a IPv6 Issue?
IPv6 is still in a early stage of implementation. For example I can speak about Microsoft, their service itself working with IPv6 but to Log into a Account, you still need a IPv4-Address. When you’re trying using a Software from Microsoft just using IPv6, that will be nearly impossible.

I guess it’s the same with Roblox. Their Website itself is working great with IPv6 but few service aren’t working (Team Create Login, Join Server, Thumbnails and much more) and that also could be your Browser Errors. Your Client can’t suck any data because Roblox server do not know how to handle your IPv6.

Also your virtual machine and other Devices still use IPv4 as default. So you may did any Ethernet changes(?)

How to fix it (hopefully)
I tried to reproduce the Bug but… my router dosn’t comes with useful IPv6 feature. It will automatically tunnel everything even when I dont want to.

1. I could explain every button press but I’m lazy so I just link this tutorial real quick. (Dont forgett to enable TCP/IPv4 and disbale TCP/IPv6)

2. Open cmd (Windows → cmd) and type ipconfig. Do you see any IPv4 or only IPv6 Address?

3. Take a look on the Website “whatismyip”, there you can see your global IP Address. Is it a IPv4 or IPv6? (Dont share it!)

4. When it’s still not working after that, take a look into your router. Is there anything IP related enabled/disabled that shouldn’t be?

5. Reset your Windows into Factory settings

1 Like

Thanks for the response.
I’ll try all this and update u when i get home.

@xtremeguy2256 I’ll also send you what u want too when I get home.

Hopefully I can finally fix this

thumbnails ping:

hosts file

@Semiplex

Yes my ip was an ipv6 for some reason strangely. Changing it back to v4 did not fix it though, really had my hopes up when I realized you might’ve been right.

I’ll try restarting my computer to see if that fixes the problem.

This I simply am refusing to do sorry. Not worth it as I have too much files/apps atm.
Tho I have tried reinstalling windows, that didn’t fix it either tho.

browser just autoupdated when i opened today coincidentally but it didn’t change a thing. I also tried it on multiple browsers, and the roblox app itself so I don’t think its the browser that is causing this.

@SEMIPLEX lol lay off the chatgpt for a sec what are you talking about :yawning_face:

Well, what do we have here?

Do me a favour, open Notepad as an Administrator, open that same hosts file, and delete all the entries that list roblox.com. Save, then try and go on the Roblox website. See if anything changes. You might also need to run ipconfig /flushdns in a Command Prompt window.

By the way, is that what your entire hosts file looks like? You should copy and paste the whole thing here so I can get a better look, and see if anything else is affected.

5 Likes

must’ve fixed it.
cleared host file and did the ipconfig /flushdns.

idk what wizardry you just did here but thank u jesus :pray:

Awesome, though I think there’s a glaring elephant in the room here - why did those entries get added to your hosts file? Those should not be there, and would only be there if they were either added manually or added by some software.

I have a question to ask you - remember that time Roblox was down for three days back in October 2021? Did you by any chance run a .bat script that allowed you to regain access to the site early while it was still supposed to be offline?

(let’s see if my detective skills pay off today lol)

No I don’t remember doing anything like that.

Honestly I may have but I could be mixing it up with something else I did.

Not sure because I have no idea what the hosts file is, ill go an do my googling rn but yeah I have no clue.

I’d say there’s a very good chance you did because 1. it’s the only possible explanation for it that I can think of, and 2. the domains that were specified in your hosts file are the exact same as the ones listed in the script.

Anyway, it’s fixed now. Enjoy.

1 Like

I didn’t used ChatGPT. It’s just a know Problem to me- I already solved few Problems with just Enabling IPv4.
I also didn’t mean to fully reset your computer. Next time I will be more accurate and more Professional. Maybe not writing at 3am. Anyways, good that People like @xtremeguy2256 exist and helping on bit more complex reports.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.