Archive - This hurts me every time I go to the develop page

Midway thread edit
(Thanks to EchoReaper for the solid idea, this is his own words)
We need an archive for all assets: old places, games, models, decals, etc. Archive is by definition better than deletion. If you don’t like a cluttered archive, don’t go into the archive – then it’s the same thing as deletion. With plain deletion you can’t restore deleted assets though.

(Now back to my words)
Why an archive and not solid deletion?
Security. If someone gets your account they can delete all your hard-work and it would be hell to get it back. Therefore, an archive is a much safer, easier alternative.

(Original OP)

Just loads and loads of old, defunct places that don’t and will never serve any purpose. I like publishing my games on a new, blank slate so that means my develop page is filled with old places and outdated like/dislike ratios. I wish we could delete our assets but that would drive people further to compromise accounts.

Can anyone relate? :confused:

12 Likes

What? Why are you wiping your like ratio if you aren’t releasing? I see no benefit of wiping it 10 times during development.

1 Like

And then a new game was made for each place (which I finally found out how to use them and why they’re there only just recently), which I will again never use. It’s just a horrible mix and bothers me a lot. :frowning:

3 Likes

No you misunderstand. These like/dislike ratios were all from past games and I don’t like to have an outdated ratio if I want to publish a new game to that place. I have had many past games so many places have clogged up my develop page and I just want to get rid of them :confused:

1 Like

You are publishing new games over old ones? I don’t understand.

He is making a new game over his old ones yes.

If you just keep making new games it’ll just add on to the mess on your develop page, so what he is doing is reusing them for other purposes so the develop page doesn’t have to be a mess.

Though doing that is not such a good idea because statistics from past games used on that slot are still there. So the new game you make will not have the right stats.

I agree I wish we can have some sort of clean up thing for this.

2 Likes

We need an archive for all assets: old places, games, models, decals, etc.

7 Likes

I support the idea of archivable assets. Perhaps this post would be better off under feature requests.

2 Likes

Boom. Done :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Why on earth are we unable to delete assets?

I wish we could delete our assets but that would drive people further to compromise accounts.

Security. If someone gets your account they can delete all your hard-work and it would be hell to get it back. Therefore, an archive is a much safer, easier alternative.

5 Likes

Have a trash bin. If you delete an item, it goes to the trash bin. You can’t permanently delete anything in the trash for security. Instead, have items sit in there for 30 days, then auto delete themselves.

1 Like

There’s no benefit to that over the ‘archive’

5 Likes

Other then the fact that it will actually go away. I can only stand archives for so long. Then they get cluttered…

It doesn’t matter if the archive is cluttered – it’s a place you dump to and forget. Same result of deletion. The only difference being that with archiving you can go back in and restore stuff out of it, but you won’t be doing that on a regular basis so it’s irrelevant. Archive is by definition better than deletion. If you don’t like a cluttered archive, don’t go into the archive – then it’s the same thing as deletion. With plain deletion you can’t restore deleted assets though.

5 Likes

Leading a team working on several different games at once with developers that have the habit of creating new games just for new map development / test places I can assure you it’s still a very needed feature.

1 Like
6 Likes

Our prayers have been answered.

5 Likes

It was awesome to see it actually added :open_mouth:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.