Game Organisation - Shadowing and Deletion

As a Roblox developer, it is currently impossible to properly organise, manage and track multiple different used and unused game files. The develop page offers no way of re-organising games, be it folders, sorting, etc.

My request is a Shadow and Delete feature.

In the games options page, you can press a ‘Delete’ button to delete the game. Example include if was an old prototype, unneeded game slot, or an embarrassing place file you made in 2011 and are too lazy to change it.

The game will be ‘shadowed’ for 30 days. This means that the game will not show up on the games page or group games page, and on the develop page, the game will be greyed out, with ‘Pending Deletion’ written beside it in red. The game will then be closed and VIP server costs temporarily frozen.

You can easily go back to the games options page and click revert, to cancel the deletion process, and the game will revert back to being ‘unshadowed’ instantly. Much like Twitter deactivation, it offers ample time to recover your account if you made a wrong move, got hacked, etc.

If 30 days pass, then the game will be deleted. VIP servers will be removed, the game will be removed from the develop page and group page.

Shadowing basically means that the game will be removed from the games page, game search, group games, etc. It acts like what Roblox uses to shadow games.

It feels necessary to have this option, and I’d love to hear your reviews. Let me know if you have any other things I should add.

53 Likes

Deleting games has been a long needed feature, and this I feel would be the best and safest option, especially if you were to delete a game, yet you changed your mind later. Support!

13 Likes

Similar to this concept, (game security) the ability to white list a game page so only specific users can join/see the page. For those who want to keep the game secure.

Also support.

1 Like

I don’t think this would work well at all. We already have enough issue with the fact that users can delete Roblox-made items. If we need a way to sort items, then let’s have something to sort them, and not something to destroy them? You’ve already mentioned a couple at the start, why not think of how those would work?

There is a 30 day grace period for that very reason.

As for sorting, that would also be cool but personally I find deleting more important than sorting.

4 Likes

The 30 day grace period isn’t a solution to this. Oftentimes there are people who leave their accounts for longer than 30 days. Vacations, trips, or just life in general. Giving people who could access your account for malicious reasons even a chance to outright erase your game like this would be ridiculous, especially when there are safer, better options.

1 Like

So having a longer grace period will make it better?

If you give out for your account to others, for various reasons, that’s on you.

It’s an idea that’s better than none, do you have something better?

Edit: Part of Section 3A of the Roblox Terms of Use states that

You may never allow anyone else to use your Account (except your parents or legal guardian). If you have reason to believe that your Account is no longer secure, then you must immediately notify us at info@roblox.com.

1 Like

It’s safer to just deactivate and/or overwrite a place you don’t use anymore instead of deleting it entirely. Maybe it would make more sense to be able to delete place versions, but having the ability to delete any form of asset from the site has already been discussed as a dangerous feature, even with 30 day grace periods.

1 Like

That’s what I do at the moment, but at times I would love to be able to delete my assets that no longer need. Decals, places, etc.

1 Like

Yeah, I do agree that it would be useful to be able to remove assets that can’t be overwritten and hidden from the site. Hopefully we can get a feature to totally hide assets without actually having to delete them so we could recover them if we ever needed to.

2 Likes

No, a longer grace period would not solve this. A method which allows devs to organize games without completely erasing them would be better.

There are situations where people get into your account, even getting past security measures like 2-factor auth, whether it be on the user or not. Malicious users get craftier with their tricks, and people are people.

As for better ideas, it’s already been mentioned at the very start of the post that there are other potential options to look into other than deleting the games. We could have folders, and sort our games for our needs, or filtering by certain sorting methods instead of just what we have now.

As dragon mentions, hiding assets would also be a nice alternative. I feel being able to hide anything you own, be it assets, places, or even items you own, would be a great way to not only prevent the need of deleting places here, but remove the risk of being able to delete your avatar items, something that already shares a somewhat similar risk as this does.

Overall, I’d love something which is SIMILAR to the big goal of “don’t show assets we don’t want to see”, but in a less risky way.

1 Like

See the OP for the feature,“shadow”, also why not hide the feature behind the parent pin, similar to trades.

Edit: Maybe shadow be its own direct option to shadow an asset and then you can choose to delete it.

Hmm, I took that as part of the deletion feature, as in “This is what it looks like during that 30 day grace period.”, but I’d say that’s a good way to go about it, without the deletion option anyways.

As for the pin, I feel it only has so much strength. If someone has already gotten past your password, a 4 digit version using only numbers isn’t something I’d trust nearly as much, especially when a shady user could lie dormant until they’ve cracked it, and then do stuff which would reveal their access to your account only when it’s too late.

Support!

I don’t want to just manage the organization of my slots into folders. Excuse me while I sort out 30+ trash places, proof of concepts no longer relevant, and general outdated places.

You don’t clean your room by moving your garbage around it.

3 Likes

This suggestion offers it as you can just unshadow the game a few days before it’s about to be deleted, and shadow it again, thus continuing the shadowing, without it being deleted.

If you want to keep the stuff in the place file, then you can move them all to a place specifically for your unused assets, and delete games that have the assets previously there. It’s what I do with my Photoshop and Illustrator files, I often transfer unused assets into one bigger file and sort them there, rather than having them all scattered

It’s proper organisation and ergonomically wise, it feels correct to have this feature.

1 Like

It would definitely be nice to have more tools to organize our things.
I don’t see the need to “shadow” a game that is going to be deleted; just set it to inactive, and have a timer that you can cancel until it’s over (and the game is then permanently removed).

This means VIP server owners must have some sort of protection. Either refunding (a problem since the developer could enter negative balance) or not allowing the developer to delete the game in the first place.

This feature would be useful, but it may pose some negative side-effects with regards to other features on the platform.

1 Like

I think what a lot of the issues to this idea are are the fact that deleting a game could possibly be considered scamming. Say you bought a gamepass for a popular game, and the game over time slowly loses it’s touch. What happens to all of the products you bought if the developer decides to simply delete it one day? All gamepasses and all dev products and all the money you spent? It doesn’t feel right unless the game is violating the TOS to remove the money that people spend, and adding in this feature may raise some concerns in this aspect.

EDIT: I also like the “shift” period time you have; however, if there was a shift between when it went into shadow vs when the deletion process started, there would most definitely need to be atleast 1 month to compensate for any VIP servers players have spent and make sure they get their full dollar for what they spent.

I also wanted to make it clear that I have personally have wanted this feature for awhile but through a little bit of thought these are some things that we need to think about before adding such a big feature.

I believe if you bought a gamepass for a game, and it got deleted, it’s not the developers fault. It’s the same with paid access, or if the game stopped development. You bought it so therefore you are responsible. A game could stop development at any time, go inactive at any time, etc. This is the exact same.

2 Likes

I don’t see the point in shadowing versus saving a local file of the place and then overwriting it and deactivating it. Sure, you may have a ton of empty places like I do, but I don’t see any concerning problems with them continuing to exist. That sounds like an awful lot of work to have to keep shadowing a game just so it isn’t automatically deleted, and in the event that the developer is unable to abort the deletion (i.e. they’re banned, lose internet connection) then the game can easily be lost unintentionally. The risk of losing a popular game is too high, it doesn’t make sense to have such a hazardous feature just for a little more organization.

1 Like