Are there currently issues with the teleport feature?

Hi there,
Are there currently issues with teleporting users to other games? I did not change anything, and it worked perfectly before.

• What are you attempting to achieve? (Keep it simple and clear)
    That my players get teleported
  • What is the issue? (Keep it simple and clear - Include screenshots/videos/GIFs if possible)
    They don’t get teleported.
  • What solutions have you tried so far? (Have you searched for solutions through the Roblox Wiki yet?)
    I have tried on other games, shutting down all servers and trying again, no fix. The output doesn’t show any errors in-game. (Not studio, duh!)

Thanks in advance for any replies & help! :slight_smile:

Kind regards,

Jonas

2 Likes

How are you teleporting your players? Show us your scripts!

This is definitely a scripting issue on your end as I just made a quick teleport button to a game myself and it works fine:

Apart from the slight delay which always happens when teleporting it works perfectly.

I recommend for getting players to teleport to a game you use:

game:GetService("TeleportService"):Teleport(PlaceID)
2 Likes

Yes there are issues with it. It isn’t 100% reliable.

I personally shy away from teleporting. Before we get into any technical limitations, by design it breaks apart my players and thus ruins the social aspects if my games.

You can never count on a player reaching the destination. This is particularly problematic for round-based games that need a certain amount of players to work. Every time I’ve teleported in something like this at least one person from the original place never showed up. This is probably due to issues on their end so a developer can’t just fix it.

Another reason I don’t use it is because Roblox can just not work and fail to teleport a player. This can be for various reasons, like server strain or something. The thing is, if a player fails to teleport, they’re probably going to leave your game and might even thumbs it down. No way would I risk that.

And of course TeleportService and having multiple places in a game is a pain to work with as a developer. Even with packages, there are still things that need to manually be done to keep worlds in synch. Teleporting specific people to a specific place is basically impossible.

I could go on, but basically I like how reliable one place is when it comes to things like this. Never been a fan of multi-place games. Hopefully you can use this information to formulate something. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks! Although, it’s always been working fine, so it should do that too this time. :smiley:

Thanks, I already use that. :wink:

local tp = game:GetService("TeleportService")

function isGameOwner(player)
	if game.CreatorType == Enum.CreatorType.Group then
      local success, result = pcall(function()
            return player:GetRankInGroup(game.CreatorId) == 255
      end)
      if success and result then
           return true
      end
	else
		if player.UserId == game.CreatorId then
			return true
		end
	end
	return false
end

game.Players.PlayerAdded:connect(function(player)
	local tpdata = {}
	tpdata["isowner"] = isGameOwner(player)
	tp:Teleport(2786665872,player,tpdata,script.ScreenGui)	
end)

Output (dev colsole in-game) shows no errors, nor client, nor server.

Kind regards,
Jonas

Are you sure this script is even being run? Do a print at the top of the script and at the bottom of the script to make sure.

EDIT: Also try a print between each line in your PlayerAdded function just to make sure that it actually executes Teleport.

1 Like

Thanks. I found out that this script (simplified from the original version) keeps on loading:

game.Players.PlayerAdded:connect(function(player)
    print(player.Name .. " Has joined the game!")
	print(player:GetRankInGroup(game.CreatorId) ==255)
end)

If I execute it on my own player when in-game using the dev-console, it does correctly work. It prints true.

However, when I just put this script in-game, it does print that the player joined the game, but doesn’t print true or false.

Why does that thingy keep on loading? Also, the game.CreatorId is the groupid in this case.

Kind regards,
Jonas

Maybe a Roblox API issue? No clue actually. Have you tried looking for any console logs (such as errors) after a while?

Hmm

2 Likes

Aha, that is why. Most likely why it stopped working.

Isn’t game.CreatorId the UserId of the creator, rather than a group? This doesn’t seem like it should work at all.

If you want to check if the user is the creator, you should check

edit; my mistake, didn’t realise that it was a group game.

1 Like

There are many successful games that use teleportation service… However, I agree that they are not 100% reliable. Within the last few Roblox Egghunt Events, I sometimes lost connection while teleporting between places, but that didn’t necessarily meant that I gave the games a thumbs down. As long as teleportation works for the most part at least 90-95% of the time, your game should be fine.

1 Like