Argon - Full featured tool for Roblox development

Good thing didn’t have to type that out, lol. But well, yeah. Again, I can list stuff that rojo has which Argon doesn’t.

• CLI implementation (according to @Dervex, it will be coming in the future.)
  • Automatic git repository initialization.
  • Importing .rbxm files to roblox studio.
  • etc. etc.

But yeah, that’s about it. Now let’s call this argument to an end here.

Argon 1.2.1

Changes:

• Added automatic Git repo initialization, suggested by @AridTheDev
  • Fixed issue with porting to VSC caused by UUIDs, reported by @rick2809
  • Open in editor option no longer works when two-way sync is enabled

Auto Git init demo:

1 Like

Oh, thats weird. Unfortunately I can’t reproduce this issue. Please try reinstalling Argon but first remove every folder from /Users/dervex/.vscode/extensions with dervex in its name. Hopefully it will help.

If this error message will still pop up please send me screenshot of Argon’s runtime status:

This shouldn’t happen because argon.openMenu is a valid name added to the main package.json. You might try reinstalling argon.

And heck, it’s small but an alright update, as always good job!

I tried removing the extension files and then reinstalling and I am still encountering this.

Runtime status says the extension is not activated.

This was not occurring on the previous version of the extension.

Also it seems none of the commands are working for me.

UPDATE: for some reason it randomly started working again, not exactly sure what triggered it.

1 Like

Is this disableable? I don’t want to create new git repo for every project I make

It’s available in the extension settings, and pretty sure that it’s disabled by default.

All the git related settings:

1 Like

Unfortunately, @iGottic is right about the feature comparisons. However, iGottic’s post is essentially opinionating that this project is inferior to a highly developed project with a bunch of supporters. Stating that Rojo has more benefits and saying that the Argon UI is pre-made.

This is such a narrow perspective. A lot of projects use “pre-made” libraries to support, and the egoism of making your own library or “pre-made UI” is a stupid elitism that should die off in the Roblox development community. This type of opinion also shows the small experience that they have with programming. If you invested even a few hours to explore other programming languages such as JavaScript, Python, Rust, or even C++, you would know that there are hundreds of projects that use “pre-made” UI / libraries.

It’s pretentious to even compare Rojo to Argon because you’re pointing out the most obvious: Argon doesn’t compare to Rojo’s features. Well, that’s what happens when a project gets a lot of support: everyone starts supporting it and it becomes common in development. However, I think it’s not okay to bash on someone’s project and compare theirs to projects with way more development and investment. This project is barely starting and you’re making huge comparisons to a project that has years of development.

Again, all of what I wrote is my personal opinion with a different lens or perspective on this project comparison. I’d like to support smaller projects because that’s what makes the industry grow. I support this project because it’s not Rojo. I like it because it’s unique and not the same thing that everyone uses. Argon is also easy to use and set up, with different options on sync. I really like the icon as well, it reminds me of Adobe’s icons.

@Dervex, Argon is still an excellent way to work on code from an IDE. I would like to think that Argon is a unique plugin to work with an IDE, and you could possible even try to implement other IDEs into your work. Either way, this is a great project for you, and it’s awesome that you have the capabilities to show your skills.

10 Likes

I’m having this same issue now all of a sudden as well. I’ve tried reinstalling and deleting. Still experiencing this issue with all commands.

1 Like

Can’t reproduce this issue. It works fine for me, though.

By any chance, are you both on Mac?

Good news! Finally found the issue. It’s related to the embedded C++ file which is only used on Windows to manipulate user’s input. It has something to do with node.js version mismatch, so I’m working on a fix!

EDIT: For some Windows users, Argon works fine as they have the correct version of node installed, but I’ll do my best to make it work for everyone regardless of node version.

2 Likes

Suggestion: Add a support for .rbxm files (Roblox Model Files) to get imported to the current connected place. (Not an absolute needed feature, but for some extra info, it’s similar to rojo’s remodel and also similar to lune → Docs)

1 Like

@StarVSK @OneEDM could you test this updated VSC extension? That should fix your issue but I’m worried that it might break Argon for other users. That’s why I would like you @AridTheDev to test it either. Here is the file.

Works just fine!

Tested the code syncing, create and delete detection, and it seems all’s good.

1 Like

Happy to hear that! Just released:

Argon 1.2.3

Changes:

4 Likes

Hi!
been using argon for some weeks, but this update got me an error when trying to open the menu:

and this error on console:

(i’m on windows if it isn’t obvious :grin:)

Crap, that’s what I was afraid of.

Could you send me screenshot of Help > About tab (from VSC)?

Unfortunately for now the only solution for this issue in you case is to downgrade Argon to 1.2.2 version.

I will try to fix this issue in 1.2.4 update but I’m not sure if this will be even possible because that would require to compile single C++ (winuser) file for multiple versions of node.js and then import required version on runtime (depended on the VSC version).

I will have access to my Windows machine on Monday so unfortunately you have to wait 3 days bc you can’t compile Windows headers on macOS.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Absolute love this plugin. This is the simplest solution to using VS Code in Roblox that I’ve seen. My main gripes with Rojo were that the project porting process wasn’t very simple and it always felt to me like Rojo was probably better off as a CLI tool. For me at least, it was unintuitive.

Argon, however, is extremely simple and just works. I’m glad to see updates coming, and while others are complaining about using if statements (:thinking:) and weird code setup, I think for users who want an easy way to manage working with VS Code, this is the best plugin/extension out there.

I look forward to seeing this project continue to be maintained.

3 Likes

There was probably some issues with the node version on your computer, since the current version works fine for me.