Argon - Full featured tool for Roblox development

yooo dervex thx for spending ur precious time to publish these updates bro
wouldve quit vscode roblox if i didnt see ur plugin on devforum

3 Likes

Thanks for the updates @Dervex 1.2.5 seems to be working great for me.

1 Like

Dude, this plugin is really good! Great job @Dervex! Iā€™m finding myself using it pretty often on projects where I just really donā€™t want to set up Rojo as well as small team create ones. I do have a question about team create features though.

In particular, saving scripts in VSC currently writes to the corresponding script in Studio, and if youā€™re in a team create session it will not create a draft. This is bad when other people are on at the same time, as I risk overwriting their work if they decide to touch the same script Iā€™m working on.

This issue also goes the other way, because when teammates commit a script, it doesnā€™t sync to VSC, meaning that I would either have to constantly resync or just not use it if other team members are on.

Honestly this plugin is nearly the exact kind of studio sync system I was looking for, so even if you donā€™t plan to make these changes, Iā€™ll probably still use the plugin whenever I can. However if you could implement those features, that would be awesome.

Has anyone managed to create a proper config to run Argon along with roblox typescript instead of Rojo?

If you have, any pointers to how you did it would be greatly appreciated!

You canā€™t. unless argons hierarchy is completely like rojo hierarchy now

At the moment, Roblox-ts isnā€™t compatible with Argon.

It isnā€™t. There are differences between the two plugins. The way Argon is at the moment, it might have to implement its own way of supporting Roblox-ts (I might be totally wrong though.)

It cant. roblox ts compiles the scripts to a rojo hierarchy. unless you forked roblox-ts as a whole (which will remove stability probably and u cant rely on it due to little updates)

Thatā€™s why I said. And if my statement was a little confusing, hereā€™s what I mean. I wonā€™t be expecting any implementation of Argon with Roblox-ts.

So I noticed an issue: I added a linked folder to the project I am working on and now when I sync to roblox it just buffers forever. Is there an easy fix for this? I see that it created the folder in Roblox but its empty and just loading lol

Same here.

I sent a pm like a week ago about this and ig dervex doesnt care much abt this anymore.

Probably just going to bite the bullet and use Rojo.

1 Like

Im making an extension right now that mirrors files so it should fix this issue. Im too lazy to learn the ins-and-outs of argon rn.

Reason I am doing this is so I can include a folder from another repo and auto sync it

Depending on how this goes I may be willing to make my own fork of Argon with better plugin UI and whatnot, since I am already dependent on it.

@CompletedLoop I have released the initial version of the plugin on VS Code called ā€˜Source Mirrorā€™. Itā€™s open source too. Never made a vs code plugin before so feel free to fork it and make improvements.

hello, i think iā€™ve found a bug from the argon plugin, this happens after i clicked ā€˜Port To VS codeā€™

maybe try porting only scripts

I canā€™t say for sure, but maybe the plugin is broken right now. Probably an issue in this part of the code:

Is this still worked on? I donā€™t see any updates for a couple of months.

1 Like

im not sure if this is being developed anymore you should probably use rojo

Hello world everyone,

Iā€™m here to give you quick update about current situation.

Iā€™m sorry!

So first of all, I really apologize everyone here for being inactive as well as not updating the plugin. Things got slightly complicated in my life and sadly I have way less time now for developing Argon. Thatā€™s because of many things like halftime job, working on a game in Unreal with my newly created studio and most importantly private life.

Argonā€™s future

But one thing didnā€™t change, I donā€™t want to abandon this project. In fact, I want to improve it even more. So, I plan to release final update (1.3) this month (probably in the next 2 weeks). But the story doesnā€™t end here, I want to remake the whole plugin.

Here is the plan:

• New plugin core ā€“ executable, written in Rust. This will help in 3 main fields: even better performance, cross platform development and being CLI by default (thanks to that you will be able to use Argon in any editor as well as from terminal).
  • Better integration with Rojo, Wally and other popular tools.
  • New, refreshed Studio plugin UI ā€“ yes finally made with Roact.
  • Clean, easy to understand and expandable codebase.
  • Even more ways to tweak Argon to your needs, more new features.
  • Argonā€™s goals do not change! I still prioritize ease of use and huge toolset.

And this is going to be Argon 2 which I plan to release by the end of this year.

Short story

Working on Argon was and still is very educating journey for me. I learned A LOT! Like for real, when I started creating VSC extension I literally didnā€™t know how to output stuff to the console in JavaScript. Now Iā€™m able to create any extension or web app I want and most importantly how to write quality code that follows general conventions, not like the one current version of Argon is made of (I mean it works great but itā€™s very very messy).

Once again, I am very sorry for the inactivity and thank you to everyone who is involved in this project!

17 Likes

Thanks for making this & wish you luck on remaking it!

3 Likes

This has to be probably one of the most hyped-up plugins Iā€™ve seen so far. I was really glad to use it. If possible, when the new better Argon releases and it works properly, Iā€™ll be sure to use it!

You donā€™t have to be sorry. Many developers just turn away from the community without notice and we devs respect them too! Donā€™t be sorry for not being active, be happy to make the community happy with your contribution!

All in all, I respect the effort put into this. If ever possible, Argon may even be a very high production-level extension for many developers.

You have the community to support you too. Thank you for all youā€™ve done! With you all the best :heart:

3 Likes