Argon - Full featured tool for Roblox development

Well, that’s really good to know! Good luck.

1 Like

Hi,

I am getting the below error messge in the Roblox Studio log whenever I try to preform a “Port to Roblox” when there is an asset file containing a MeshId string. The asset is created in Roblox Studio however the MeshId is left blank.

Argon: The current thread cannot write ‘MeshId’ (lacking capability NotAccessible) (fhSP)

The asset file has been created succesfully via the “Port to VScode” function, and it doesn’t mater if the messh is on the market place or not.

As of yet I have not published the game, is this the resaon for the error?

Thanks

Unfortunately this is a problem that cannot be solved as for now. That’s because plugins do not have permission to set MeshId property.

I’ve seen some ways to bypass this limitation but this will be available in Argon 2 if it actually works.

What about this?

Thanks for the confirmation that it’s not something I’m doing wrong. For now I will leave the MeshId’s blank and manually set them via Roblox Studio as required.

I look forward to seeing Argon 2 once released.

Thanks

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s the solution I’ve seen.

1 Like

So far from all the regular commits, it looks like Argon 2 is having good progress. Do you currently have any guess on when it might be released?

1 Like

Will it be compatible with roblox-ts?

Seems like it will, and will be pretty cool too :wink:

1 Like

Yep, @AridTheDev is right.

Not only it will be supported but it will be built-in! That means that to start a new roblox-ts project you will only need to run one command: argon run --ts. (obviously npm and node must be installed)

Okay, now we’re getting into the neat stuff!

1 Like

I like this addon! The fact that it already features two way importing and includes properties in that too makes it a step above Rojo, as I don’t need third party tools.

One question that I do have for Argon 1 is this - Is multiple place management possible, as found in a project.json structure as seen inside this post?

1 Like

I think not. You probably would have to create separate folders with each of them having a default.project.json file since on the VSCode extension, you don’t have the ability to choose which project file you want to run. Hoping that support comes in Argon 2 though.

1 Like

Yeah as @AridTheDev mentioned this feautres is not present. But don’t worry Argon 2 has it already.

The second version of Argon includes literally all the features of Rojo with addition of new ones!

3 Likes

Do you have any expected time for it? Obviously, professional tools require a lot of time, but do you have an estimate? Also, so far of what I’ve seen on the repo, the progress is pretty good with middleware of lua, dir and project snapshot and project integration etc. So far, amazing job!

Actually I thought that Argon 2 (CLI) was ready a week ago. However when I was implementing last thing, support for child projects I found out that with the current core structure it will bo almost impossible to add this feature and also will result in the messy code in the future. So I decided to completely rewrtie Argon core.

I think that Argon CLI will be ready within 2 weeks as I already did most of the “hard” stuff. Aftar that I will start working on the Roblox plugin which I think will be ready by the end of February.

As for VS Code extension I don’t have any specific time estimate because I’ll start working on this once I finish Argon CLI and the Roblox plugin. But it shouldn’t take long to write as most of the stuff is handled by the said CLI.

Actually if anyone here is capable of creating Visual Studio Code extension and would like to help me with this project, they can just DM me for more details.

4 Likes

(recording was paused for a bit as it was just a minute of “connecting”) Is there a fix for this infinite “connecting” loop? I’ve attempted: restarting my computer, reinstalling both extensions for Studio and VSC, restarting the apps, the issue only appeared after I restarted VSC for an update while connected, and the plugin worked relatively well beforehand.

Related to this GitHub issue.

I can’t exactly reproduce this issue because Argon connects just fine for me, but I can see that the code isn’t syncing at all. Looks like the last VSC update broke this. I’ll fix it tomorrow when I get home.

1 Like

Fixed in 1.3.1.

1 Like

I noticed that you switched from JS/C++ to full Rust for Argon 2, was this change for improvements on performance or were there scalability factors that prevented you from working further in JS? I’ve been keeping an eye on your Argon repository and it looks a lot cleaner in Rust than previously.

Just curious, thank you for keeping this extension updated. I use it everyday over Rojo for almost every project and recommend it to everyone new to external script editing.