Argon - Full featured tool for Roblox development

You can define in the syncback settings to ignore the instances you don’t want so let’s say a part.

1 Like

thats not a good solution since I dont want any instances synced. And the reason this does not make sense as a feature is because you shouldnt be looking at your instances in the text editor, thats what the explorer is for. Plus Roblox LSP will do the autocomplete for you. I really dont understand why this was ever implemented.

2 Likes

Then you could just change your initlal sync priority to server.

It’s not mainly for porting parts. The main reason this is and should be a part of argon is because of porting scripts and other files to support two-way sync.

1 Like

I think you are misunderstanding me. I just want scripts to be ported over since thats all I care about when using a external editor to write code. Problem is; is that there isnt a good way to only port scripts over because I will have to go through every single class I have inside scripts and put them on the ignore list which is not something im keen on doing.

2 Likes

A few things:
Whenever I play test my game while connect, it will immediately sync everything in the place while playtesting (eg. Roblox default scripts), then error this
then proceed to disconnect (or sometimes stay connected after you stop, but then doesn’t remove the instances added when playing??) seems to probably only be a two way sync issue or is there a setting so that from what I remember in old Argon, it just ignores anything that happens during playtesting then syncs any changes made to scripts in VSC after you stop
Edit: Seems like this only happens with the auto connect setting on?

Also, with Roblox LSP which is not recommended

and with Luau LSP it will be less useful and show

What’s the advantage with Luau LSP or rather the current drawbacks of Roblox LSP

1 Like

I’m pretty sure he mentioned a few times about how Luau LSP is better in terms of performance than Roblox LSP.

And as to what sync properties does and what’s the point of it; Is that it syncs changes made in Roblox Studio back to the server/vsc.

1 Like

Sync properties, not two way sync

1 Like

By changes I mean property changes of an Instance.

Understood that, but what would the uses for the properties of an instance inside your file system be

1 Like

Personally, I like them because I can convert classes and change properties without having to even switch between Roblox Studio and VSC. (i wish there was a built-in autocomplete for the properties though)

1 Like

That’s not true. You are missing one of the main use cases of Argon which is full source control of a whole game. You want to keep track of changes made to the place as well, not just code when you are developing huge projects.

That’s a bug then. Argon shouldn’t connect when playtesting.

Luau LSP requires Roblox Studio plugin as well. When you install it will provide the same instance details as Roblox LSP.

• Performance
  • Better module resolving
  • Better support for meta tables

Proper source control.

Argon 2 has significantly fewer bugs than the legacy version.

I think you are just missing the only-code mode. That’s something that can be easily implemented and in fact I’m going to add it in a few days. Also in properly organized projects there is no need for such feature but I’m going to bring it back anway.

That’s actually on my to-do list!

1 Like

The simplest example is diffing commits / PRs to keep an eye on changes made to the project. rbxm and rbxl files are not human readable so… you got the point.

That’s what JSON Models are for.

Honestly you don’t have to. There are people out there that need this functionality and that’s it.

Rojo has nothing more to offer in terms of project organization compared to Argon and roblox-ts has nothing to do with this at all.

Dude you’re not the only guy in the world who needs this plugin. If you think the feature is useless, don’t use it. I use this feature and I know a lot more people do as well.

2 Likes

I apologize, I tried it out again and got a bit more used to it and I actually like v2 and its CLI alot more. I guess I just wasnt using properly. It actually works amazing with neovim.

Although the connections issues are a bit of a pain because for some reason I have to completely re-initialize my project sometimes after disconnecting. Dont know if thats just my end but I havent been able to fix this.

And yea I am really hoping for that only code setting soon:

Can you give me more details about this? I would like to patch this in the next update as well.

Everytime I disconnect and try to reconnect, I just get a error code. The only way to fix it is to completely re make the whole project again. It doesnt matter the order I disconnect (client or server first).

Am I doing something wrong here?

That’s definitely a bug. Could you send me the extension output with verbose enabled and the plugin output with Log Level setting set to trace?

Not much of a functional issue, more of personal preference, but could there be a setting that makes it so that whenever you playtest, the Argon window doesn’t automatically reappear even if it was closed when you pressed play

Unfortunately this is impossible because in order to send the keys to the Roblox Studio (to start actual playtest) Argon has to focus the window.

This might be a bit too much to ask but a huge suggestion.

Will we be able to get a headless API like the one rojo has? Would let us make our own features.