Argon - Full featured tool for Roblox development

Yeah, everything works fine, I’m literally using Argon rn (working on macOS update). Please make sure that you are running latest version of both plugin and extension.

Argon 1.2.0 - macOS, two-way sync & more update!

Changes:

• Added full support for macOS
  • Added support for multiple instances with the same name inside the same directory
  • Fixed custom dirs behavior when using root path
  • Fixed instance attributes not being removed
  • Fixed and improved two-way sync

Important note for every macOS user!

You will be prompted to allow Visual Studio Code to execute terminal commands and manage your computer’s input. It is required to make certain Argon features work properly (snippet execution, starting playtest directly from VSC and open in editor function).

macOS support:

Duplicated instances support:

Improved two-way sync:

@NotFaykingBtw, @rick2809, @OneEDM sorry you had to wait so long for this update but here you go, macOS support is finally here!

5 Likes

And that’s what I call Argonic, amazing job on this!

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ll check this out when I get home!

Well did you at least try Argon? Because if not isn’t giving such opinion based only on 2 random screenshots unfair?

The only way to remove buttons from the current UI is to literally remove Argon features.

???

2 Likes

It could be quite more readable. The layout resembles Rojo’s, but is executed poorly; remember to follow key UI/UX principles.

As for declarative UI, it does matter. Not only will it have better code, but UI responsiveness is more likely to feel, well, responsive.

As for if statements, you use them quite too often. In many cases, using a module or dictionary would be better. You don’t follow programming standards that well either; feel free to take a look at a post I made about that.

That is not what I’m entailing.

Features are only part of the feedback, and even then it hasn’t all been implemented. Additionally, the reply you made to me is quite defensive, especially regarding this.

It’s not worth wasting my time or energy here if you’re not very open to feedback from anybody. You can’t select what feedback you do and don’t like, because let’s be real: Argon is insufficient.

There is no way that declarative UI will have better code. That’s because creating every UI object from scratch with code will be already more complex. I know that Roact exists, but I don’t like it and I don’t want to use it for such a simple UI. Another thing is that declarative UI has nothing to do with UI responsiveness.

In many cases I use if and elseif statements to resemble switch, case style.

Yeah, I know but that’s how some of the Rojo’s modules look.

Well if this is how you see this, that’s okay. But I think that it is just a regular reply. I won’t be silent while I disagree with you.

I really don’t understand you. I’m open to feedback from everybody. Literally 99% of the bugs I fixed were found by others and half of the features are user suggestions. Just look at this changelog where everyone is credited.

I’m aware of this and maybe that is why I’m replying to everyone.

Actually I think it is. It provides all of the features that Rojo does, in addition to lots of other useful features. If you think that Argon is that bad simply don’t use it. I already said that multiple times Argon is an alternative for Rojo not its replacement!

2 Likes

@Dervex made this plugin taking his time and yes, I would say that it isn’t 100% efficient in all cases, but it works. There are people who just don’t care about efficiency but only want stuff to work, where there are other people who want a perfect plugin that has absolutely no issues. It’s not possible. The developer would just have to keep the plugin up to date to reduce the number of bugs and glitches coming up, but you can’t remove all bugs.

@iGottic, I am going to agree with you that Rojo has a few features that Argon doesn’t, but Argon also has features that Rojo doesn’t, in fact, very useful features. The developer is trying to make this plugin better than before [every update]. Everybody has the rights to give opinions to something, but it isn’t right to create rude statements towards a person who’s at least trying.

You just can’t judge a developer without taking a look at his past works.

Now, let’s please end this “argument” here. Thank you.

3 Likes

Could you give an example of such a feature?

:joy:

• Better two-way sync
  • snippet, code executor
  • built-in porting tools
  • option to start playtest in any mode directly from VSC (works as a VSC debugger)
  • option to autolaunch Roblox Studio
  • WORKING open externally option
  • integrated file icon theme
  • more filtering options
  • and in general more automated
2 Likes

Good thing didn’t have to type that out, lol. But well, yeah. Again, I can list stuff that rojo has which Argon doesn’t.

• CLI implementation (according to @Dervex, it will be coming in the future.)
  • Automatic git repository initialization.
  • Importing .rbxm files to roblox studio.
  • etc. etc.

But yeah, that’s about it. Now let’s call this argument to an end here.

Argon 1.2.1

Changes:

• Added automatic Git repo initialization, suggested by @AridTheDev
  • Fixed issue with porting to VSC caused by UUIDs, reported by @rick2809
  • Open in editor option no longer works when two-way sync is enabled

Auto Git init demo:

1 Like

Oh, thats weird. Unfortunately I can’t reproduce this issue. Please try reinstalling Argon but first remove every folder from /Users/dervex/.vscode/extensions with dervex in its name. Hopefully it will help.

If this error message will still pop up please send me screenshot of Argon’s runtime status:

This shouldn’t happen because argon.openMenu is a valid name added to the main package.json. You might try reinstalling argon.

And heck, it’s small but an alright update, as always good job!

I tried removing the extension files and then reinstalling and I am still encountering this.

Runtime status says the extension is not activated.

This was not occurring on the previous version of the extension.

Also it seems none of the commands are working for me.

UPDATE: for some reason it randomly started working again, not exactly sure what triggered it.

1 Like

Is this disableable? I don’t want to create new git repo for every project I make

It’s available in the extension settings, and pretty sure that it’s disabled by default.

All the git related settings:

1 Like

Unfortunately, @iGottic is right about the feature comparisons. However, iGottic’s post is essentially opinionating that this project is inferior to a highly developed project with a bunch of supporters. Stating that Rojo has more benefits and saying that the Argon UI is pre-made.

This is such a narrow perspective. A lot of projects use “pre-made” libraries to support, and the egoism of making your own library or “pre-made UI” is a stupid elitism that should die off in the Roblox development community. This type of opinion also shows the small experience that they have with programming. If you invested even a few hours to explore other programming languages such as JavaScript, Python, Rust, or even C++, you would know that there are hundreds of projects that use “pre-made” UI / libraries.

It’s pretentious to even compare Rojo to Argon because you’re pointing out the most obvious: Argon doesn’t compare to Rojo’s features. Well, that’s what happens when a project gets a lot of support: everyone starts supporting it and it becomes common in development. However, I think it’s not okay to bash on someone’s project and compare theirs to projects with way more development and investment. This project is barely starting and you’re making huge comparisons to a project that has years of development.

Again, all of what I wrote is my personal opinion with a different lens or perspective on this project comparison. I’d like to support smaller projects because that’s what makes the industry grow. I support this project because it’s not Rojo. I like it because it’s unique and not the same thing that everyone uses. Argon is also easy to use and set up, with different options on sync. I really like the icon as well, it reminds me of Adobe’s icons.

@Dervex, Argon is still an excellent way to work on code from an IDE. I would like to think that Argon is a unique plugin to work with an IDE, and you could possible even try to implement other IDEs into your work. Either way, this is a great project for you, and it’s awesome that you have the capabilities to show your skills.

9 Likes

I’m having this same issue now all of a sudden as well. I’ve tried reinstalling and deleting. Still experiencing this issue with all commands.

1 Like