Asset Manager - Drag and Drop Support is Here!

Hello developers,

We are excited to announce that drag and drop support has been added to the Asset Manager! It is now possible to drag your Models, Meshes, Packages, Images, and Audio assets from Asset Manager into the 3D Editor.

This feature works in both the List and Grid views.

Please let us know what you think. We welcome your comments and feedback!

Thanks.

389 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 10 minutes.

This is an amazing update! I am excited to now be able to add decals to parts with ease.

34 Likes

Now we just need to be able to sort the items inside the asset manager by publish_date/name/availability/etc. and we are good.

What I mean by availability is items that got moderated like this:

36 Likes

This is a really nice quality of life update, and I’ve been really quite happy with the updates you’ve Roblox and you guys have been doing as of late. It’s not a big update, but it saves us a few clicks. : D

Is this going to be added to the toolbox, because I would love to have this added. (If so, when?) The only issue I see with it is having the script warning menu pop up, which would be a bit problematic.

Anywho, cool update, very gud.

13 Likes

This is a great update. It should hopefully speed up adding things like images to parts and adding things in general.

To be fair I don’t see any downsides to this, well done Roblox for a great update.

12 Likes

This is a wonderful update! I can’t wait to start using this to easily add objects in :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This update will make things much easier! Keep up the good work!

4 Likes

oooo that’s pretty awesome!!! im excited for this!

4 Likes

Very nice! Is there any chance we could have a way to filter out packages depending on whether or not they contain 3d parts to separate models with other stuff like scripts? This would make using this easier for builders, as I usually copy and paste script packages, but dragging in physical packages would be a whole lot nicer.

Would be great as well if we could scale the size of each cell in the grid view, as I often only use list view for this specific reason so I can view more at once, but this doesn’t work well with models where I’d like to view what they look like closer, but not too big, to save more screen space.

9 Likes

Great update!

However uploading game-ready assets as Models is still a little tedious, which is unfortunate since that’s the most common use-case for drag-and-drop. I don’t typically need a drag-and-drop for importing meshes (since I want them imported at World Origin anyways), and textures (since I just right-click to copy the AssetId).

If there was a more streamlined pipeline for doing Import Mesh > Import Texture > Setup Asset to game-ready Model > Upload to Asset Manager with right click, I’d use this like 100 times a day haha.

Currently the first three steps exist, it’s that last-mile step that needs a bit more work, work I’m sure is coming!

All aside, thank you engineers for making the Asset Manager even more useful!

10 Likes

Wow I like this, unfortunately I rarely use the asset manager I’ll have to try to use it more. Unless i have to has the stuff published though, I tend to stay away from publishing things.

5 Likes

Cool feature. Its gonna help me

4 Likes

People love to hate on Roblox, but these updates always make me happy I stay positive! Thank you.

3 Likes

@benpinpop Toolbox already supports drag and drop, including the prompt for assets containing scripts that you mentioned.

Could you clarify what part of the script warning popup is problematic?

5 Likes

@Aspecky stay tuned for more updates coming soon!

9 Likes

Will more asset types be added to the asset manager in the future, such as animations? Having the same amount of choices as on the creator dashboard website would be really useful, as I wouldn’t have to constantly go back and forth between the website and studio anymore.

19 Likes

Wonderful

5 Likes

Was completely unaware! I assumed that the script warning popup would stop the asset from being loaded but never mind. Just tested this. Very cool indeed.

5 Likes

This will help me a lot when I need to reuse my assets packages! :smiley:

4 Likes